• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shimming Orbitals

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I read on some thread about how some of y'all shim the orbitals of x-metals when the minor variations in casting creates loose fitting lenses. I think @THE X-MAN said he uses electrical tape.

Can anybody post some pics of doing this? Step by step ideally?

If you have to do it cause the lens doesn't fit right left to right, always shim at the nose side. I have used double sided 3m tape about the thickness of a quarters edge and it worked perfect. Black tape also works. Some frames have a very thin strip of silicon up in the orbital also which helped to stop lens rattle on OEM lenses.

Last edited:
What I use is foam sheet - readily found at the arts and crafts section of your local Target or Walmart. They're thin pieces of foam with just the right amount of tackiness and thickness and cuts really easily with an X-acto knife. What I like about it over using tape is that it's not rigid, so allows for compression depending on how much space you need to fill. I tried using tape but couldn't fold it thin enough to slip between the grooves of the orbitals. But tape works too.

What I use is foam sheet - readily found at the arts and crafts section of your local Target or Walmart. They're thin pieces of foam with just the right amount of tackiness and thickness and cuts really easily with an X-acto knife. What I like about it over using tape is that it's not rigid, so allows for compression depending on how much space you need to fill. I tried using tape but couldn't fold it thin enough to slip between the grooves of the orbitals. But tape works too.

Great idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!

That sounds like the same foam sheeting that I use to remediate boxes with that nasty foam deterioration.
I cut it to the size of the box bottom then lay the concave foam section (that part doesn't usually deteriorate) on top of it, covering up the residue.
Otherwise you just keep getting that crap on the micro bag so a couple of uses for that material.