1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

I read on some thread about how some of y'all shim the orbitals of x-metals when the minor variations in casting creates loose fitting lenses. I think @THE X-MAN said he uses electrical tape.

Can anybody post some pics of doing this? Step by step ideally?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

If you have to do it cause the lens doesn't fit right left to right, always shim at the nose side. I have used double sided 3m tape about the thickness of a quarters edge and it worked perfect. Black tape also works. Some frames have a very thin strip of silicon up in the orbital also which helped to stop lens rattle on OEM lenses.

Last edited: 4/18/14
  3. borgs

borgs Oakley Beginner

What I use is foam sheet - readily found at the arts and crafts section of your local Target or Walmart. They're thin pieces of foam with just the right amount of tackiness and thickness and cuts really easily with an X-acto knife. What I like about it over using tape is that it's not rigid, so allows for compression depending on how much space you need to fill. I tried using tape but couldn't fold it thin enough to slip between the grooves of the orbitals. But tape works too.

Krank likes this.
  4. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Great idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!

5. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

That sounds like the same foam sheeting that I use to remediate boxes with that nasty foam deterioration.
    I cut it to the size of the box bottom then lay the concave foam section (that part doesn't usually deteriorate) on top of it, covering up the residue.
    Otherwise you just keep getting that crap on the micro bag so a couple of uses for that material.