• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shipping 24K X Metals International?

Mike Fear Light

Oakley Beginner
Florida
So I finally listed my 24K Juliets on eBay since they will not be charging ANY fees for this one auction. Now I'm facing the dilemma of shipping internationally. I've had requests from Japan, Indonesia, and the UK. All of which restrict precious metals and jewelry. Has anybody had any problems with these things getting caught up in customs over there? Any things I should know prior to agreeing to ship overseas? I would hate to see these things wind up in customs for eternity

My ebay item: Oakley Juliet 24K w/ Titanium Polarized And Original Receipt | eBay

I have stuff shipped in to the Uk from all over the world and so far no problems. I've also shipped to Japan and never had any problems, in fact the Japanese postage system is the best by far, so quick.

I have ordered from Japan many times, Paid on Monday, shipped on tuesday, and here on Saturday, time and time again. I wished everyone I bought from shipped like that. Hands down if i Had a choice to buy from Japan or anywhere else , Japan is the winner

I have bought from overseas quite a few times and more often than not from the UK. I usually ask for them to be marked as a 'gift' with a nominal value (less than $20) so I don't get reamed by customs charges. Obviously can cause an issue with insurance and is effectively at buyers risk but it's one I'm willing to take. If a buyer is willing to accept being responsible for customs charges you can ship insured. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

I doubt they consider your XX precious metals, maybe to me and you but not customs. I ship over there all the time with FedEx and have never had any issues.

Japan is no problem, and the only problem i have had with the uk is the buyer getting hit with some substantial duties. I dont and wont falsify the customs declaration and some countries will will collect on everything they can. There are some places I wont ship to. Italian customs is notorious for simply stealing things. You'll often see "will not ship to italy" on a lot of listing and that is the reason why. I have personally had it happen to me. Some mail systems are incredibly slow, china, malaysia, indonesia are all pretty bad, but all my packages eventually did arrive.

So probably FedEx would be my best bet then? I've been doing all my price calculations via USPS, all of which have been the same price. About $48 plus insurance...I am not familiar with customs charges though. Just dumbing down the price and marking as a gift seems risky. But maybe I'm just being paranoid

When I ship through FedEx is only about $30, I don't send things as gifts, but I don't put a high value on them either. The recipient would be the one to pay taxes on it at customs I think.

MFL, you set the standard for marketing these things.
Original receipt and stand helped the sell price, eh?
Where did they wind up going geographically?

General rule for shipping overseas, regardless of what you're sending is to use some kind of trackable service with some kind of delivery confirmation, preferably signature if possible. The other thing to is to inform the buyer that they'll need to pay actual shipping and any duties or taxes. You don't want to get caught up in that crap.