• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shipping Woes $#@%@%$#@%

PaulEWog116

Oakley Beginner
Ok I gotta vent a little here and hopefully prevent shippers from messing up like this themselves. If your Ebay auction says that you ship UPS THEN SHIP THE PACKAGE UPS!!! NOT USPS!!!!

Here's why. Not everyone receives USPS to their address because of rural situations or lack of a mailbox etc. So if you are gonna ship an item then do what you say you are gonna do.

I don't have a mailbox on my land, so I receive UPS/FedEx/DHL only to my home. I have to go to the post office to my P.O.Box to receive USPS mail. Now I have a pair of Juliets that I bought off of Ebay coming via USPS to a mail box that doesn't exist; because Joe Blow Ebay Seller decided to save a few bucks on shipping. Now I am totally stressing about getting my Juliets. I messaged the guy and asked him to call the post office and see if they could intercept the package and redirect it to the proper address.

Sorry, I just had to vent because I have an expensive pair of sunglasses headed to an undeliverable location and I am pretty aggravated atm. Hopefully this will help any people here not to make the same mistake. Not everyone has the most ideal shipping circumstances. If you say that you ship with a certain carrier, then that person gave you an address that they know that carrier will ship too. It's the senders responsibility to uphold their end of the deal. Hopefully this works out ok.

Its sometimes a 2 way street with this. When you sign up on eBay and Paypal you put in an address that sellers use. I am sure it will be fine, just like your bills, and all your USPS mail, it will be safely tucked in your box or they will put a pick up notice in it and secure it in the will call box area. Dont sweat it! Yes it can be frustrating but again not everyone on ebay is smart. I find sellers ready to ship USPS parcel post for $10 and I message them and say for $5 ship it priority....

Well I made sure that when I paid for the auction that I filled in the right "ship-to" address. That should be the address used. But like I said there is no mail box on my land to leave a delivery notice so it will probably just get returned to sender i guess. I imagine I will get them eventually; its just aggravating.

EDIT: The shipper did send it to the address I told him too. So there is no error there on either end. The breakdown happened because he didnt use the carrier that he said he would use. That's why there is a problem.

If you're in a rural area it'll probably be pretty easy to go to the local post office to let them know and for them to care or understand enough to help. Anything coming to your address would be held until you come to collect it, the same as if you put a hold on for having your mailbox run over or going out of town. You'd just never take the hold off.

I have mostly good experience working with USPS employees. I also try to go to the post office at off-peak hours and in less busy locations.

I'm sure the people who work at the PO by work know me, I'm in there at least once a week shipping Oakley stuff, or gun parts, or care packages to family. Just like the PO by my house knows me, the older gentleman that works in the annex where my packages that require signature are held always likes to chat for a few minutes when I come by.

I never trust ebay. Its always a crapshoot on whether or not you will get your purchase in a timely manner, good condition, and without some kind of hassle.

You may be able to get the package flagged to be held at the post office for you if you have a tracking number. Once the package gets to the post office and goes through the initial sort they'd probably be able to set it aside for pick up. I know my local post office will allow you to pick up packages that haven't been sent out on the route if you get there early enough, around 8AM where I live, even if you don't call ahead.

I'd just watch the tracking info like a hawk and know when to be expecting it to arrive to the post office, or see if you can leave special instructions for it to be delivered to your door rather than an attempt to put it in a box that doesn't exist.

I'd just watch the tracking info like a hawk and know when to be expecting it to arrive to the post office, or see if you can leave special instructions for it to be delivered to your door rather than an attempt to put it in a box that doesn't exist.
Tracking info, on a USPS shipment? Good luck trying to time that.

That is a good idea. I will call my local P.O. tomorrow and see if I can get them to flag it for holding on my end too. Better than having it return to sender and then having to have it shipped to me all over again. Fortunately the seller seems like a pretty decent guy; so he is working on his end to get it rectified too. We have had some friendly exchanges and he is looking for the original box etc in storage for me. I'm sure it'll be fine; just a hassle that riled me up initially after shelling out so much cash; although it was a pretty darn good deal.

As for Ebay; I guess its always a crap shoot; but I have never had anything really bad happen. A few rare blips here and there but mostly good transactions

I've always liked using USPS for non-live goods shipments myself. Never have had any problems with them; and I know my stuff will be waiting for me at my P.O.Box when I am ready to pick it up.

There alot of good sellers on eBay, I wouldn't call it a crap shoot. Most time if you tell your seller exactly what you want, you get it!!

Latest Posts

Back