• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should We Allow Ebay Links?

Should we allow ebay links?

• Allow ebay links for discussions and exchanges

Votes: 95 84.1%
  • Allow only your own ebay links for exchanges

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeh that is actually part of this, I forgot to mention. You still cannot just post "here's a great deal" thread because that is definately stealing a deal from someone. This is just to establish you can post link for ebay products that you need to fake check or question.
Would asking if a particular item was a good deal count? It's a legitimate question for those who are unsure. And if they post the link, if the item was a good deal, it's still spoiling it for someone else isn't it?

It just seems way too difficult a task to tackle. It either has to be one or the other: all links allowed or none allowed. There's just too much gray area.

My opinion is this: I collect hockey jerseys (baseball and football also, but mostly hockey) and one of the collector forums I've been frequenting since I got into the hobby two years ago has a couple of sub-forums for this. One is an eBay thread and the other is a "deals and steals" thread. eBay links account for, I'd say, 90% of all posts outside of the new pickups thread, and it really hasn't been an issue in most cases. It's generally common courtesy to post links to things you have no intention of buying, or that someone else may want more than you, to keep others informed of what's available and at what price. Some of us also have a habit of removing the link for the benefit of another collector if they let us know they're watching a particular auction.

While we might want something for ourselves, someone else may want it more and there's no sense knowingly getting into a bidding war with another collector if they've already been watching it. That only drives the price up and neither of you may end up getting it. I don't see why there would be any issue with posting eBay links here, so long as you're not sitting on something for the purpose of winning it for yourself, only to post the link after the auction has ended. If you're going to post the link, post it while the auction is active, not after you've won it to say "look what you guys missed out on".

Everytime I think I found a good deal on ebay, I sit there thinking how I'm special and nobody knows about it. The I come on here and see a post about "x" is on ebay now. At least for x-metals, I think there's about 40 of us all watching the same auctions. Someone mislabeling a penny as a juliet doesn't matter when everyone looks at every juliet that gets listed anyway. That means the only steals on Ebay are BIN, and you should buy it the second you see it.

I say allow the links.

I say no links. Some people will habitually post links to items just to spoil good deals. They can hide behind the cover of saying they're just helping out, but I've already seen this happen with just item numbers and other members lose out on a good deal after the item was publicized. If people want to verify fakes they can just as easily copy the picture and just post the picture of the questionable item.

Voted :eek:)

As a newbie and not as knowledgeable as most on here, i appreciate any help or advice i can get, ref values, fakes or general info on all things of the OAKLEY variety.
So for links :eek:)

OK, it has now been 24 Hours, and the poll is closed!

The winner is....allow ebay links!

What will this mean?

For now on you will be allowed to post ebay links in the discussion area when asking a question about a product! You CANNOT post a link simply saying "look at this deal"! In addition you will still be able to post your own ebay links in the exchange area. This is a very safe way to conduct exchanges since you are protected by ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back