1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these for a little while, my love of items in this vein is no secret. Thanks to @moeman I have a pair.

And true to form, these things feel like they can stop a bullet.

When held together with my titanium Crosshair they feel like an armored version. Thicker, heavier. But on their own the pair doesn't feel overly substantial. Someone without knowledge of Oakley wire pairs may look on these and think they look like any other run of the mill aviator.

With some extended face time in the coming weeks I might be able to comment more on the weight as it feels on the face, but the strong hug from the arms helps bear the brunt and keep most of the load off the nose for me, so that's very promising. As I said above they're near brick-like in comparison with my titanium pair, but even O-Matter pairs feel heavy against Ti wires.

Immediate differences
    • Thicker frame and lens
    • Different hinge setup
    • Anti-fog treated lenses (apparent when trying to clean them)
    • Less curvature to the stems, narrower natural opening
    The hinges are a leaf spring setup, which won't open as large naturally, but will bend to accommodate. This is to both remove the hard stop from the hinge which can cause fatigue or failure under stress, and to allow a tighter fit. As mentioned above the tighter fit may help combat the weight of the frame.

These are designed similarly to the Ballistic M Frame (2.0/3.0) in that it's a tight fitting pair meant to fit inside helmets, under hearing protection, and in conjunction with optics or night vision (more so on the latter with clear lenses in M Frames). So it makes sense that it has an added anti-fog coating.

One final closing note before a few pictures: Damn the APEL regs which don't permit mirrored lenses. I'll live with grey. I would have preferred dark grey if going non-mirrored, but at least it isn't warm grey.

SI Ballistic Crosshair: A Closer Look - C9A03274-FC27-43FD-839E-D9179C63CC86_zpssgywsseo.jpg
    SI Ballistic Crosshair: A Closer Look - 8941165F-2482-4FB4-8D06-DB3AD67E976D_zpsyreyvlhf.jpg
    SI Ballistic Crosshair: A Closer Look - 09A9B231-1213-4A5D-BA24-43DADCE6635F_zpsvn7jyeln.jpg
    SI Ballistic Crosshair: A Closer Look - CBC89F6F-21C0-4C78-AD91-926170CA7ED6_zpsvnjjj6a8.jpg

shofzr and moeman like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. OpinionatedOakley

OpinionatedOakley Oakley Beginner

Excellent review.

Those hinges are awesome. I'm tired of the flimsy spring hinges on wire models.

Price is $130, which is double the price of other SI wire offerings, though there is only the Tightrope at the moment.

3. moeman

moeman Oakley Beginner

Glad you like them!

4. Ventruck

Ventruck Oakley Expert

I was literally going to make a thread asking about this because I was thinking about one of the Crosshairs near future (so like, full price for the SI). Thank god you exist :p

Also had the same reservations about the lens choice for the SI (though I understand the reasoning too), but the functional factor and thicker aesthetic are what draw me in. Sure enough I'm not gonna be involved with ballistics but it just seems so Oakley to be "overbuilt". So much more of an inspiring pair to think about.

Now I was wondering, how do the nose sizes compare? I assume the SI doesn't have much give for adjustment, and I'm on the narrow side. I can't tell the comparison 100% from the pics.

5. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Yes, they can be adjusted. It'll be a bit more difficult, and they're supported in two places.

6. steveocubed

steveocubed Oakley Enthusiast

I'm on the narrow side as well and just like Rustpot said, they're actually supported in two places so it's pretty hard to actually adjust them. They do tend to sit a little lower on my face than my other crosshairs but is still one of my top 3 favorite crosshairs to wear (and I have a lot of crosshairs haha) so yeah still definitely worth it and able to pull off with a narrower nosebridge, albeit not ideally.

7. Ventruck

Ventruck Oakley Expert

Cool. I figure the protection from an unexpected IED would make it worth it.

The pads also look replaceable by snapping in/out. Maybe I can inquire with O about thicker ones if adjustment doesn't work out.

8. Captiva

Captiva Oakley Beginner

My gosh these things hurt when you lose a nose pad. Any idea where to get a replacement set online? TIA

9. Call the Oakley warranty department. They've been known to give out rubber for free if you get the right rep on the phone. Even if they don't give it to you for free it will probably only be $10 or so.

10. Aaron Crawford

Aaron Crawford Oakley Beginner

Thanks for the great review! Hey what model of Oakley crosshair were you comparing the military version to in your pictures? Looked like the crosshair originals just wanted to check.