• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SI Ballistic M Frame 2.0 Hinge Pin Fix/ Replacement

Meatbag

Oakley Beginner
Hoping someone may be able to help.

I've had my M frames for around a year and a half now. A week ago, they were dropped from head level onto grass, and that was enough to shear one of the crappy plastic hinge pins. I contacted Oakley and asked them how I could purchase a replacement pin. Their response? Send the glasses to them to be evaluated ($) and then pay for whatever warranty work they do ($$). All for a little 10 cent pin.

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement pin that would work or DIY something? I'll love you long time.

Small pins can be bought at hardware stores. McMaster Carr is one of the bigger names for internet sales of tools, hardware, industrial supplies, etc. Might cost you $10 to buy a couple sizes with shipping.

Plastic are ~$3 for 50 of them. You might be able to find something local.
McMaster-Carr

The trick would be finding the right size that will press in, but not cause too much stress on the plastic.

I'll get out the calipers at work tomorrow and see if I can't figure out a good size for them if no one else has information. I keep a set at work for safety glasses.

Looks like it's 1/16" diameter. 3/8" or 7/16" long depending on how deep the hole is. 7/16" might be a touch long, but the pin can always be trimmed shorter. The temple is just over 1/2" tall in this spot. You can take something smaller and stick it into the hole and measure how deep it went to get a better measurement.

Test the pin by partially inserting it to make sure it's a snug fit. If it's too loose you can buy a 3/32" or put some glue into the blind hole portion of the frame, put the ear stem in place, insert the pin, and hopefully it will stay glued in place.

If the pin is snug and needs to be pressed or driven into place use a set of pliers or vise-grips to slowly squeeze it in. If you have something with rubber feet like a C-clamp or quick clamp that would work too. Be sure to put something between any metal and your glasses. I would not recommend a hammer until you're ready to do a final seat, and I would use a thinly tapered punch for finishing nails just to get the end of the pin into the frame.

If you get the pin in far enough and there's a recess at the end, fill that with glue to help keep it from backing out again.

Rustpot, I took your advice and came up with an easy solution. I went through my drill bit set and inserted the smooth ends of the drill bits into the arm-hole (the arm hole is tighter than the bridge-hole) until I found one that fit tightly. The 1/16" fit perfectly. Then I took a pair of Klein side cutters and snipped off a piece that would fit. I just eye balled it. I pressed the snipped off smooth drill bit end into the joint and now it works perfectly. It's a pretty simple fix, if you've got a drill bit you don't mind sacrificing to the cause.

Rustpot, I took your advice and came up with an easy solution. I went through my drill bit set and inserted the smooth ends of the drill bits into the arm-hole (the arm hole is tighter than the bridge-hole) until I found one that fit tightly. The 1/16" fit perfectly. Then I took a pair of Klein side cutters and snipped off a piece that would fit. I just eye balled it. I pressed the snipped off smooth drill bit end into the joint and now it works perfectly. It's a pretty simple fix, if you've got a drill bit you don't mind sacrificing to the cause.
Good on ya!

I'm used to buying purpose items for a job. Good to know it's only a press fit through the stem.

What did you use as the pin? Looking to fix our M2 frame also.
1/16 long cut ??? Off and pressed into the pin hole.
Please let me know product.

Back