• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0 With Photocromic And Polarised Lens

So the best should be SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0 with photocromic lenses. right?
I want use it not for military purposes but instead everyday use: walking, drive car, running, hiking. I love this item just I've a doubt: in case of middle sunlight, lenses are too much dark?

It's a personal thing,

For one I feel the ballistic line is supposed to be used for actual ballistic protection (rough work environment) ... They look quite 'serious' for driving ...

Oakley's naturally provide a minimum government standard of ballistic protection without going to the SI ballistic line

If you want the 'look' ... You can find a M frame array... Can come with 3 lens colours ...

I find the Flak's light, stylish and open to a whole slew of lens options... Plus they one of the rare frames that offer photochomatic lenses...

I wear the 3.0 everyday, but they're my safety glasses at work. Hands down the best. I added a photochromic lens since I was looking for a spare and the shop I work at is 2 buildings so I can be outside between the buildings, loading/unloading trucks, etc.

I'm not sold on the photochromic. They don't shift very fast, and they don't get that dark. And they don't work in the car.

The 3.0 definitely has the comfort to wear all day. Add a Helo Kit and a strap, and they'll work for any situation with a quick lens swap. BUT, the clip on the 3.0 is a little more fragile than the 2.0 which makes lens swaps a little more cumbersome than a standard M Frame. The clip is ONLY to comply with DOD safety regs that require the lens not come free of the frame during an impact. Since a normal M Frame is only a friction fit the lens can pop free. The original SI M Frame was just a retail pair in black with clear lenses. The Ballistic M Frame, which got an NSN and was issued, included the ballistic clip. The 2.0 frame has straight stems to better fit inside the ear protection of helmets, etc. The 3.0 is a slimmer 2.0 with no rubber on the stems to fit under hearing protection, and fit closer to the face to interface with helmet-mounted optics systems. The 3.0 also introduced a revision to the Strike lens, which is extended several mm's to provide more coverage, and has an anti-fog coating.

The fit between the 3.0 and a retail style M Frame is just in the stems and temples. If you don't wear hats or helmets (I don't), ear protection (I do), masks (I do), helmet mounted nightvision equipment (I don't), then you won't ever notice the difference.

I love my M Frames. I've been selling some off lately, but I still have 2 3.0 frames, a couple Pro frames, and maybe 10 or so standard ('New' gen) frames.