• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SI Milspec or not

Nobodys_fool

Oakley Beginner
Im a new oakley sunglasses owner. I’ve purchased an oakley m frame 3.0 that i intend to use on range trips and competitions. It came without a box. The plastic says Luxottica group Made in Italy, number OO9146-52. The frame says made in italy. Ive attached pictures of my purchase.
It was advertised as SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0 strike. I was under the impression that was buying the Standard Issue Ballistic M frame 3.0 strike that “ surpasses ANSI Z87.1 Industrial Standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact protection. The M Frame 2.0 additionally meets MIL SPEC MIL-PRF 31013”.
But im not sure if what have here is the same milspec M frame 3.0 or an industrial M frame.
I was hoping someone could help me identify. Thank you.

EC715B4C-2345-4D12-AD15-B5EF86313CA2.jpeg

BB83442F-1B75-4D52-BE99-05FDD48B560D.jpeg

ED5B8F40-0D38-43F9-BD05-ED2011FAADBE.jpeg

1F77F203-6F10-4696-91E7-AF254422E5D2.jpeg

4E765C59-3768-4958-980E-A26930C7D0A6.jpeg

C21211BF-AA49-4B2E-AB0B-2B7BCB457FCE.jpeg

Don't know if this will help.....but i saw the made in Italy stamped one's for sale.....here in South Africa....as personal protection glasses.....just after lockdown. Sold at Sunglasses Hut here in plastic bags without boxes.

Im a new oakley sunglasses owner. I’ve purchased an oakley m frame 3.0 that i intend to use on range trips and competitions. It came without a box. The plastic says Luxottica group Made in Italy, number OO9146-52. The frame says made in italy. Ive attached pictures of my purchase.
It was advertised as SI Ballistic M Frame 3.0 strike. I was under the impression that was buying the Standard Issue Ballistic M frame 3.0 strike that “ surpasses ANSI Z87.1 Industrial Standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact protection. The M Frame 2.0 additionally meets MIL SPEC MIL-PRF 31013”.
But im not sure if what have here is the same milspec M frame 3.0 or an industrial M frame.
I was hoping someone could help me identify. Thank you.

View attachment 1079364

View attachment 1079365

View attachment 1079366

View attachment 1079367

View attachment 1079368

View attachment 1079369
Everything on the frame points to a legit Ballistic set. The "made in Italy" thing weirds me out a bit. I've never seen that. All the markings match my set with the exception of that.

Don't know if this will help.....but i saw the made in Italy stamped one's for sale.....here in South Africa....as personal protection glasses.....just after lockdown. Sold at Sunglasses Hut here in plastic bags without boxes.
Thank you for your info. I’ve search the product number in the web. And it appears that they were sold in europe as ppe during the lockdown, with some models having the gasket attached. The discription in the sellers websites all says SI Ballistic M frame 3.0 with clear lens.

Everything on the frame points to a legit Ballistic set. The "made in Italy" thing weirds me out a bit. I've never seen that. All the markings match my set with the exception of that.
Hi. Thank you for your response. I have one question though. Does the markings on the lens match with yours? Mine has one marking on the lower part of the right lens. I’ve attached the pic.

0708948E-4054-4A4E-AEFA-C5127B0F0951.jpeg

Hi. Thank you for your response. I have one question though. Does the markings on the lens match with yours? Mine has one marking on the lower part of the right lens. I’ve attached the pic.

View attachment 1080040
I dont know what to make of this but I did find some other very slight differences between mine and yours.

First, the lens text is the same between the two but the etched ellipse is different. Mine is s a double line and is much narrower than yours. This could simply be a different program used to etch the lens since yours appears to be made in Italy.

Second, in the left arm printing the text for the EU eyewear safety standard (EN 166FT) looks like it starts with a "O" or zero. Mine is an ellipse.

Also, if you pull out the lens it should carry its own Z87+ marking. Since the lens and frame can be separated, they both need to carry the marking.

In the end I think these are just minor differences based on manufacturing location. I believe the Industrial and True MIL-SPEC version are the same with the industrial just marketed as civilian safety glasses. After all, the APEL listing for the M frame 3.0 does not differentiate between specific skus, its just states the overall model.

Just for some info, here is a breakdown of what the code at the bottom of the lens means.
1692877753040.png

Back