• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Silver Fast Jacket - Clear Molded Plastic?

Zoah

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

My first real pair of Oakleys, a silver fast jacket model, has seen better days and the paint is beginning to wear and flake. I noticed that the frame seems to be molded from clear plastic. Has anyone ever tried stripping the paint from a "clear-molded-and-then-painted" frame and then finishing the frame in clear with some plastic polish and a clearcoat? The clear does seems a little milky in the thicker sections from what I can tell, but before I go and ruin a perfectly function pair of shades I'd like to know if anyone has tried it first!

Thanks,
Zoah

Hi all,

My first real pair of Oakleys, a silver fast jacket model, has seen better days and the paint is beginning to wear and flake. I noticed that the frame seems to be molded from clear plastic. Has anyone ever tried stripping the paint from a "clear-molded-and-then-painted" frame and then finishing the frame in clear with some plastic polish and a clearcoat? The clear does seems a little milky in the thicker sections from what I can tell, but before I go and ruin a perfectly function pair of shades I'd like to know if anyone has tried it first!

Thanks,
Zoah
Yes, people have done that on some other frames. Don't have any pics right off hand. Looks pretty cool though. But I'd agree with Wilkie that you should just get them Cerakoted in an awesome color combo.

monster dog whiskey is a common pair that gets stripped and done in clear. Never clear coated really, as there isn't much real need to once the frame is it's native clear

Back