• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Since X -metals Wil Discontinue, Should I Stockpile Parts?

Mr. K

Oakley Expert
Seattle, WA
So the word is that X-metals will go away in the future.

Do you think it would be a good idea to pick up a few extra XS lenses now?

I plan on keeping my shades for quite some time. Do you think replacement lenses will be available from Oakley in 5-10 years?

For me I prefer OEM Oakley lenses, I do not like aftermarket.

Is anyone else stockpiling a few extras? Would it be a good idea or silly. you also would also think if still avail in 5 years it would cost more too? historically can anyone tell me if it is worth it to but now rather than later?

technically they're only closing the titanium plant.. where the frames are made. lenses should still be available through the service centre. if anything, get the frames you want. rememebr even after the plant shuts, theres still going to be a whole bunch of stock that hasnt sold yet, and they'll be in stores for a good 5+years or more. i mean, i still see X-Metal XX BNIB on the shelves, just saw one last week here in singapore.

so yeah.. dont go too crazy haha!

technically they're only closing the titanium plant.. where the frames are made. lenses should still be available through the service centre. if anything, get the frames you want. rememebr even after the plant shuts, theres still going to be a whole bunch of stock that hasnt sold yet, and they'll be in stores for a good 5+years or more. i mean, i still see X-Metal XX BNIB on the shelves, just saw one last week here in singapore.

so yeah.. dont go too crazy haha!

Very cool maybe I'll think more along the lines of getting some frames.

big fuss all this x metal think ah???

yea sure is. im not too worried about X-metals being discontinued.. what worries me is what they will try to replace it with.. if it doesnt live up to the X-metal standard of madness, innovation, and art.. not only the X-metal fans will be dissapointed.. but Oakley is really gonna lose reputation.. will Oakley be one of those companies that was "once awesome.. but they sold out, man" companies? I hope not.. but its been heading that way for awhile now..taking away X-metals without a suitable replacement.. that might kill it for me

yea sure is. im not too worried about X-metals being discontinued.. what worries me is what they will try to replace it with.. if it doesnt live up to the X-metal standard of madness, innovation, and art.. not only the X-metal fans will be dissapointed.. but Oakley is really gonna lose reputation.. will Oakley be one of those companies that was "once awesome.. but they sold out, man" companies? I hope not.. but its been heading that way for awhile now..taking away X-metals without a suitable replacement.. that might kill it for me

i'm with you on this dude. even though i ain't a full blown Metal Head, i appreciate the value of the Metals to Oakley's history and reputation. if they take them away, and the replacement isn't up to scratch, they could end up just like any run-of-the-mill sunglasses company.

ps: you were in SINGAPORE?! and you didn't hit me or S-Works up? tsk tsk...=)

Eventually the lenses won't be available....or the rubber. The XX has only been discontinued since 2009 so there's still stock out there, but the Romeo had been gone for 6-7 years and you see what's happened there-and the lenses and rubber stopped being built since around 2006. Personally, I think lenses and rubber will be out of production by 2014 and then prices will spike. I agree with BriP....focus on frames because although stock will be there the prices being asked will spike...I'm already seeing it

i'm with you on this dude. even though i ain't a full blown Metal Head, i appreciate the value of the Metals to Oakley's history and reputation. if they take them away, and the replacement isn't up to scratch, they could end up just like any run-of-the-mill sunglasses company.

ps: you were in SINGAPORE?! and you didn't hit me or S-Works up? tsk tsk...=)

Mr Jono! I am STILL in singapore haha. did you want to catch up? i'll pm you lol

Latest Posts

Back