• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Size comparison: Penny, Juliet, XMXX, XS, R1

supersharp

Connoisseur of Grails
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Texas
20160809_235639.jpg

Penny, Juliet, XMXX

20160810_001058.jpg

Penny and Juliet

20160810_001012.jpg

Juliet and XMXX

Just thought I'd post some comparison photos. Maybe helpful to some.

View attachment 163002

screenshot_2015-09-11-10-34-24-1-png.181085.png

Romeo 1, XMXX, Juliet. (Pic courtesy of @Dnkeyhnter)

screenshot_2015-09-11-10-34-33-1-png.181087.png

XMXX, Juliet, Penny (Pic courtesy of @Dnkeyhnter )

Much better comparison pic by Dnkeyhnter

A couple of new photos taking some direction from dnkeyhnter

Adding a few pics for size comparison.

20160807_201406.jpg

So here is XS and XMXX

20160807_201355.jpg

Looks like XMXX is slightly larger than XS

20160807_201745.jpg

Here is R1 and XS

20160807_201737.jpg

Slight difference here between R1 and XS with R1 being larger.

20160808_000500.jpg

20160808_000603.jpg

XS and XMXX

20160808_000618.jpg

Romeo1 and XS

Last edited:
If you just look at the pictures, those look like the same sizes. In the last picture, the carbon Juliet looks like the smallest.

You should take the pictures front view where the glasses are next to each other. That will probably give the best perspective.

If you just look at the pictures, those look like the same sizes. In the last picture, the carbon Juliet looks like the smallest.

You should take the pictures front view where the glasses are next to each other. That will probably give the best perspective.
Perspective often goes weird on these - I have taken pics of Juliets on a two-tier stand and the pair on top looks to have much bigger orbitals, as if it were an XX.

Perspective often goes weird on these - I have taken pics of Juliets on a two-tier stand and the pair on top looks to have much bigger orbitals, as if it were an XX.
Exactly! Check out the photo in this Exchange thread: to me, the x-metal Juliet on top of the two-tier stand looks bigger than the XX below it:
For Sale - XX, Juliet, PB1, Lenses | Oakley Forum

Which brings up the question: what "tells" can identify a frame as a Juliet or an XX in a photo?
Sellers of these frames usually take photos from odd angles in order to showcase the Iridium lenses, which results in the size and shape of the orbitals being distorted by foreshortening. On sites like eBay and Craigslist, I'm reluctant to trust Sellers to know for certain whether their frame is a Juliet or an XX, but I have a hard time differentiating the two.
So far, I've only found one "tell" that seems to be easier to spot in photos than differences in orbital size & shape: in Juliets, the lower "legs" of the "X"-shaped nosebridge look longer than the upper "legs" ("arms"?), but in XXs the nosebridge looks symmetrical.
Does anybody know of any other ways to identify Juliets and XXs from photos?
The frames look so different "in person" that I'm surprised at how difficult it is for me to tell them apart online.

Exactly! Check out the photo in this Exchange thread: to me, the x-metal Juliet on top of the two-tier stand looks bigger than the XX below it:
For Sale - XX, Juliet, PB1, Lenses | Oakley Forum

Which brings up the question: what "tells" can identify a frame as a Juliet or an XX in a photo?
Sellers of these frames usually take photos from odd angles in order to showcase the Iridium lenses, which results in the size and shape of the orbitals being distorted by foreshortening. On sites like eBay and Craigslist, I'm reluctant to trust Sellers to know for certain whether their frame is a Juliet or an XX, but I have a hard time differentiating the two.
So far, I've only found one "tell" that seems to be easier to spot in photos than differences in orbital size & shape: in Juliets, the lower "legs" of the "X"-shaped nosebridge look longer than the upper "legs" ("arms"?), but in XXs the nosebridge looks symmetrical.
Does anybody know of any other ways to identify Juliets and XXs from photos?
The frames look so different "in person" that I'm surprised at how difficult it is for me to tell them apart online.
All the XXs have "hammer" stems with a kink, whereas only the polished Juliet finishes (24k, polished carbon and polished itself) do. But the biggest give away is the angle of the orbital cut.