• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sneak-a-Peek: Oakley Jupiter Carbon Sunglasses | Shade Station

After reading the blog, other then it being well written and great for the person reading it and learning about Oakley's optics, patents and frame materials and the ever so slight subtle differences between them, what do you really have?

IMO you have essentially almost two identical pairs with different orbital frame material. I'm sure making the orbitals out of omatter versus aluminum is probably cheaper, not really sure, however it seems a reasonable thought. It seems like its easier for them to stamp out carbon earstems for a Jupiter or a frame with flatter earstems then something with contours. Im not knocking the style by no means but why not grab something else and throw carbon on it....

It looks nice, but take the factory lite for example, I don't think it's still at the top anymore, even if it's carbon/aluminum, I tried them on and they were uncomfortable to me, maybe not to others. The Jupiter actually fits me better for size, so based on that can I assume that the Jupiter carbon is gonna fit better, which tells me the factory lite is more narrow. I was impressed with the factory lite design materials but again comparing the two all I see is subtle changes and the use of omatter.

Pretty cool, but I'm already a fan of the factory lites and these offer nothing new to those of us with the FL collection already. The orbitals are less durable and the colorways are the same. I guess this will be a good release if the price is sub $200, making the same style as the factory lites more affordable for the masses.

Yep, I dig em'! I'm gonna have to grab the pair with the red on the interiors of the earstems. Any msrp yet?

£190.00 GBP for non-polar and £230.00 GBP for polar :)

After reading the blog, other then it being well written and great for the person reading it and learning about Oakley's optics, patents and frame materials and the ever so slight subtle differences between them, what do you really have?

IMO you have essentially almost two identical pairs with different orbital frame material. I'm sure making the orbitals out of omatter versus aluminum is probably cheaper, not really sure, however it seems a reasonable though. It seems like its easier for them to stamp out carbon earstems for a Jupiter or a frame with flatter earthen then something with contours. Im not knocking the style by no means but I why not grab something else and throw carbon on it....

It looks nice, but take the factory lite for example, I don't think it's still at the top anymore, even if it's carbon/aluminum, I tried them on and they were uncomfortable to me, maybe not to others. The Jupiter actually fits me better for size, so based on that can I assume that the Jupiter carbon is gonna fit better, which tells me the factory lite is more narrow. I was impressed with the factory lite design materials but again comparing the two all I see is subtle changes and the use of omatter.

Thanks for the nice comments on the blog, we appreciate it! As for the frames themselves, they are surprisingly different in the flesh, but as we don't have any samples yet, we can't show you at the moment. Guess it really comes down to the extra possibilities that come with O Matter like qtrain23 said; hopefully we will get varied and vibrant colour schemes in the future.

So basically they are almost the same.....just that one difference....I guess we will see how the masses like the feel of the O matter rather than the aluminum.

There are way too many Jupiter's around these days. I don't really see a need for these compared to the JFL. Why not just do one over the other in the first place?

Back