1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. cubangt

cubangt Oakley Beginner

one of the cases we have the single, needed some shelves replaced, so we went to the local plastic warehouse and picked up few for cheap, but now looking back, I think we got acrylic instead of lexan

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. reggavegga

reggavegga Oakley Expert

from what I understand very close and similar.when I ordered mine the pluck guy said they were basically the same.

3. cubangt

cubangt Oakley Beginner

Could it be that they use the lexan for its UV protection that ive heard about? I mean worst case now we can just get some UV film and do that on the shelves just so we have pretty close stuff.. not that it would matter..

4. Spenc

Spenc Oakley Collector Premium Member

hi basically the same but lexan is much stronger better for retail but acrylic or pleixglass good enough for home as I hope no one will try and smash it to pinch your collection .

5. Spenc

Spenc Oakley Collector Premium Member

try a local sign shop when looking for replacement Perspex they will cut and flame polish the edges .

6. Oakley-olic

Oakley-olic Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

Lexan is just a patented brand for polycarbonate sheet. They do make it with UV protection but would not be required on an indoor case. There are many simular competitive products avalable at a plastics supply shop. I replaced the doors on a 3.0 DW. For shelves I would use glass, doesn't bow, less likely to scratch, cheaper and easier to find than acrylic.

7. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

I scratched my tempered shelves :( pretty easily too I might add. If I were to want to spend the cash, I would have tempered shelves made with the starfire glass...that would be sick...Doors too. I had a warped door that I had to heat and "coax" back to shape...

just use plexiglass to replace the shelves. I assume you are talking about the old style aluminum cases.

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  8. cubangt

cubangt Oakley Beginner

ok thanks everyone.

9. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

Starfire is beautiful :D

dr.chop likes this.
  10. the_owl

the_owl Oakley Expert

The UV is called MR10. Lexan is like kleenex.