• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So What's The Deal With Chrome Frames?

i'm pretty sure they will peel over time. even the coating/frame of my half jacket FMJ 5.56 corroded over the years. =) the problem is worse in pairs like the 24k/chrome supremes, SW Blue Chromes etc.

to bad that oakley can´t fix that problem!!
they have it since years and still offering new models, with that FMJ style....
even if they have a coating now, which is probably just to stop the problem for a while, but it´s still a problem.
**** THAT

Man that sucks. For something that looks so nice to eventually peel steers me away from them. Is the peeling only limited to chrome frames or is it any shiny, painted, non-polished frame? I wonder if my wife's silver Half Jackets will peel now.

well, my FMJ 5.56 half jackets started to corrode with prolonged usage. esp the temple area. but i expected that, with me using them for all sorts of outdoor activities. oh well.

maybe we can slow down this process, with cleaning the glasses/frame after we used them?!?

Or perhaps putting some form of protective product on it? I should ask my kitbashing buddies what stuff they use to prevent paint from peeling/scratching.

@Razerwire
please let us know, if your buddies have any idea, to fix that problem!

I bought a pair of Radar Chrome (not the BMX Chrome - but the "standard chrome" that was avaliable earlier). As soon as I started to change lenses on the frame they started peeling on the nosepiece because you have to press this part of the frame together under the lense when you do the change. Apart from that no peeling but it looks really bad and you clearly see the black plastic under neath the chrome paint in several places. Not to happy about his. Considering doing a custom repaint of the frame.

I bought a pair of Radar Chrome (not the BMX Chrome - but the "standard chrome" that was avaliable earlier). As soon as I started to change lenses on the frame they started peeling on the nosepiece because you have to press this part of the frame together under the lense when you do the change. Apart from that no peeling but it looks really bad and you clearly see the black plastic under neath the chrome paint in several places. Not to happy about his. Considering doing a custom repaint of the frame.
That sucks man. Seeing this I plan on avoiding anything with chrome regardless of FMJ or not.

Oakley has had problems with the FMJ frames since its inception. They also had problems with the ceramic coatings on the magnesium frames, like the mag switch and the mag m-frame. The coating would rub off after repeated use especially on the ends of the temples.

As for FMJ frames, its truly had to keep from rubbing the frame against your head when putting them on or taking them off.

Over the years, I only wore half jackets when I was working. I noticed that the bottom of the lenses wore peeling away probably from the natural oils in my skin. I found that I extended the life of the lenses by making sure I kept them clean.

Latest Posts

Back