• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

so what's YOUR justification?

rightcoastnj

Oakley Expert
nj
Okay so I find that to 'normal people' I seem like a full on psycho for spending so much money on Oakleys and collecting them like we do.. I hear all the time that "you can only wear one at a time" and "who needs so many sunglasses", etc. I always justify it like this:
Women spend insane amounts of money on handbags and shoes, clothing accessories that you barely ever notice.. (well, i barely ever notice anyway.) To me, if I was going to spend alot of money on an acessory of high quality, it only makes sense that I'd spend it on something that goes directly across my FACE!
At that point people generally either agree and say good point and give up on the convo, or tell me how deluded I am, or just shrug.
What about you guys?

I take a moment to look at the person who is questioning me. Every one spends money on certain things that are important to them, usually I can point out right away something about them that could be questioned. An example is if they are into golfing, one club could cost 200$ and they will have several in a bag to use for play. I feel that once I level the field they leave me alone.

thats a good point. i snowboard and have tons of dollars invested in my equipment.. but most people can justify that by saying in order to participate at all, you need the right gear. no one NEEDS 25+ pairs of sunglasses..well, we NEED them, but we could survive without them

Do you have extra snowboard gear that you don't use? Perhaps you use it for certain conditions. Same with the glasses. I dunno, I like to spin around in my chair in my office and just stare at my cases. Makes me smile, that's my reason.

haha, hey, you dont need to justify to me, i TOTALLY get it.. im just wondering what everyone says to their friends,family,coworkers, etc.

yea, i do have extra snowboard gear, but its more because im obsessive than anything else.. besides goggles, which really do serve different purposes depending on light and weather conditions..but thats a little bit different.. most people could survive with a pair of polarized warm grey lenses if they needed to..

I tell them it's like stamps or coins.

Mostly it's the guys at work that give me a hard time. I'll show up from running out to lunch wearing a pair and they'll ask "are those new?" and I usually say no even if they are to keep them from giving me ****. One of them asks me every few weeks how many pairs I have - I usually tell him something ambiguous.

Not that I'm ashamed in any way, but it's just easier than getting into justifying my collection to them every few weeks.

Was just talking with an ex Oakley rep at a sunglass store on the boardwalk and he had never seen my fmj goldbrooks before. we talked for 10 mins about sick pairs that he has and I mentioned that I have quite a few very hard to find brooks in my collection... he asked how many, my gf smiled and I said, "over thirty brooks, 11 metals, and a few others". He was in awe and then told me about how he threw his bob head in the trash years ago but still has a double wide case and a cube for his wife. People usually say I'm nuts and I just say its a hobby, it makes me happy lol.

I don't really feel the need to justify my spending to anyone else as long as I work for my money. I simply say "I like them" that is all. :)

I'd also like to add there really isn't anything overly expensive in collecting Oakleys. For the most part they hold their value or better. Unlike some other hobbies such as reef keeping where you blow 300 bucks on a living piece of coral that can die on you. But I love keeping my reef so I am not "hating" lol.

Brett, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing someone walking around with Goldbrooks on. I'd probably point them out to my gf all excited like I spotted a Yeti and then try and plot how I could kill it, mount it and display it hahaha

Ajs, good point. I feel the same way too.. but theres always someone with an opinion..

Back