• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

so what's YOUR justification?

I don't justify my spending on anything to others. If they like to engage in conversation about our collections or hobbies, cool. When it crosses to "you know what you could have done with that money?" or something along with what you said, conversation is over.

Thanks man,yea I figured this was different because its not so much why do we collect but how do we justify it t others

Brett, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing someone walking around with Goldbrooks on. I'd probably point them out to my gf all excited like I spotted a Yeti and then try and plot how I could kill it, mount it and display it hahaha

Lmao come by ocean city and you can mount them on yourself for a while lol. But yea, i never have to explain the collection, I just show them the optics and turn them to the dark side.

Im a pretty new collector and it all started when a friend of mine said he absolutely loves Oakley sunglasses and he wants a case in his room packed full of glasses. So I thought that is really strange, I mean why would someone want sunglasses? Of all things? A few months later I bought a pair of Oakleys, then another, and another and another, and now I have more than him!

So when people ask me why I collect Oakleys, I just laugh and say I like them, and then they bring up "well why not Ray-Ban or any other brand, why only Oakley??" And thats when I get onto youtube and show them the ballistics test. That shuts them up

I am going to go ahead and take issue with that statement.
I would too, Yeti!
As to justification, I don't feel a need to justify but if I do any sort of damage control I show them FGG's collection threads and then my addiction seems sooooo much smaller. :D

Last edited:
I've never really had to justify anything about my sunglasses to anyone simply because nobody's ever asked. I only have the pairs listed in my sig, but I always wear my beat-up, peeling Canteens to work and then the Gascans or Whiskers when around town. If it's a really sunny and nice day out, then the Juliets come out to play.

One thing too is that I don't really discuss what I spent either. My wife on the other hand has no problem telling people that my Juliets cost $300+. This is something I'm trying to train out of her with shock therapy as I don't want to get jumped and robbed when at the mall.

At first my wife was like "Why do you need more than one pair, You can only wear one pair at a time?" and my response has always been "Why do you need more than 1 shirt, You can only wear one at a time". Needless to say my wife has 2 built in wardrobes full of clothes and some in washing baskets because there is no more room for them, some still have tags on them. All my glasses get worn though, So I guess its like I have Oakley and she has her clothes/handbags/shoes etc. The rest of my family and friends just shake their heads and say "there is other things you could spend money on" but we work for it so why not?

Back