• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Solvent Welding Broken Splice???

PaulEWog116

Oakley Beginner
So several years back, I forgot that I had my Splice were hooked in the pocked of my pants and I rolled over onto them at the chiropractor and snapped them in two at the nose bridge. I wasn't in a position at the time to buy replacement parts and now finding a pair for parts is pretty tough. I still intend on searching for the replacement part, but I was wondering what experience people have with fixing broken Oakleys. The break is pretty clean and there is no missing plastic. I want to make the repair as unnoticeable as possible since the broken piece is transparent crystal black. I was thinking about using some Loctite epoxy resin, but it is translucent yellow so I am not sure that will look any good.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience solvent welding a pair of Oakleys, or if that would even work at all? If you are unfamiliar, there are products such as weld-on that are used to seamlessly bond Acrylic panels or pvc pipe into a solid piece by temporarily dissolving the plastic and allowing the two pieces to mix and recombine into a solid piece. I know that the product works on a variety of plastics, but I have no idea if it will work on the plastic used in Oakleys. Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

If that wont work, I may just use epoxy resin and then paint the piece until I can locate a replacement part. But I really want to try and fix the broken piece first.

Thanks!

~Paul

yeah the crack will be not be too noticeable once you loctite it back together. you may consider just getting another complete pair, so you have one nice one, and one you can wear without worry

good luck n let us know how it goes

@Marc: Yes the clear part is broken. What is the link you posted, looks like they are selling lenses?

Is the UV Loctite clear or something? Just wondering what makes it the way to go?

Oakleys083_zps608e8423.jpg

@BriP That's the idea, I will eventually buy a nice looking pair and just use these to wear. Still wouldn't mind buying a used Donor pair to bring these back though.

Thanks

@Marc: Yes the clear part is broken. What is the link you posted, looks like they are selling lenses?

Is the UV Loctite clear or something? Just wondering what makes it the way to go?

Oakleys083_zps608e8423.jpg

@BriP That's the idea, I will eventually buy a nice looking pair and just use these to wear. Still wouldn't mind buying a used Donor pair to bring these back though.

Thanks

it'll be tough to find a donor just for the nosebridge. thats the 'weakest' part. the lugs can rust in some cases.. internally. which means you cant clean them and its stained permanently. good luck though! if you find a pair with broken arms or broken upper orbitals thats the ticket!

best thing to do with that is drill it, put pins in it, glue it back together, smooth out the glue, and paint it. Then it would be good to go, otherwise with that sever of damage, it will more than likely not hold up too well.

The UV loctite is interesting. I imagine that it would cure out in the Arizona sun. For $35 bucks a tube I would hate for it not to work though.

@BriP: That was pretty much what figured. Just holding on to hope lol.

@Dr. Chop: That is what I was also thinking of doing. I was actually looking at your site the other day thinking about a custom paint job on one of my pairs when the budget allowed. I just love the Splice so much as they are; that its hard to let go. Not sure what I would want to do with them color-wise. But I am seriously considering going that route. Would that be something you would even care to do, considering the break? I would understand if you would have apprehensions about even bothering with them.

I would love to tackle it just to add to my list of accomplishments. I think they can be salvaged and made to not be known there was a repair...there's lots of adhesives out there that may work, just tough finding the best one the first time lol

I use an optically clear uv adhesive that cures under uv light and is invisible to the eye. It is specially designed for glass but I have used a version of it for plastic. Don't know the mod number off hand but it is a loctite product. The uv light takes about a minute under clear glass and slightly longer under opaque plastics. Any other light will not cure it including the sun

Back