• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Some Misconceptions Cleared Up On Oakleys From China.

I can see that. Some of the newer frames being released this year are even lighter yet. My Rep said the weight reduction is on purpose since in reality this is something sitting on your nose and face for hours, you would think lighter is better. But in my opinion when you start getting too light it can make a product feel cheap. Whether they are light because of many long hours at Oakley R&D or because of cheaper manufacturing techniques we may never know. It can be cool to pick up a pair of super lightweight carbon fiber glasses and know they are light for a purpose. But when you have a sport pair like the new Valve and it feels light it can almost make it feel like a cheap pair. There is a careful balance when trying to go light without making it feel cheap.

Ok, lenses are very important. They're made in the USA. Great.

The frames are largely (entirely?) made in China now.

The frame designs are not as uncompromising as they once were.

They shut down the ultimate design differentiator when they poured the last Juliet.

There is a developed narrative from the current day facts... That is all.

Porsche makes a 4 door now, too. I'd say that's not progress... that's brand dilution.

Yeah .... but it also equates to increased sales and profits. I guess being self employed I can see all of their points of views. With Oakley don't blame them, blame Lux, it's not Jim anymore. But sales are rising along with profits. Even through a tough economy when some sunglass brands have 1 foot in the bankruptcy door Oakley continues to dominate. Look at Billabong (owns VonZipper) they lost $276 million in 2012. 4 door Porsche? I get the disliking ... but in my neighborhood my neighbors own about 4 of them, and I only have 1 neighbor I know of that has a 2 door one. People have families, they want to take trips in them, be able to go to the grocery store with the wife and little Johnny. Even worse yet, destroying the heritage of the Jeep Wrangler with a 4 door version that has as many comfy features as a minivan! But sales for Jeep Wranglers have been stronger now than ever before. I think I read somewhere that the 4 door Wrangler was one of the fastest selling vehicles on the road. I guess the point I can see is that if you want to get rich you need to appeal to everybody. A business may start out as making a niche product for a very small community, but as sales grow the owner almost always wants more sales and more money. When I was 17 I started a sign company in my Dad's basement for $500. I started doing it just for fun but it took off and I did everything I could to keep the business growing. In 5 years I have moved to a downtown corner location, I occupied 2 floors, I had a bucket truck and a delivery truck and 6 employees. It started out with no big goal in mind and next thing you know I wanted to get rich at all costs. Just 5 years later I sold my business I started for $500 (on my Dads credit card nonetheless) for over $100,000. The growing process is addictive, you want not only increased sales and profits but the urge to be the best, you want to be #1. To thrive, get rich and be superior you have to have mass market appeal. Oakley has some things in the work this year (speculation from my Rep) to make up for a non-eventful 2013 that hopefully should start to please the O fanatics. But to be the best in the World you have to keep selling a million Holbrooks, a million gascans, etc. The Juliet made Oakley different, the "safe" frames (design wise) made them rich.

Keep in mind though, it's not Jim's company anymore. It's not that cool, edgy mom and pop owned business that took off and was founded on certain core principals. The business has a new owner with Worldwide domination in the sunglass industry and the top focus of the company is increased sales and profit margins.

Like so many threads about Oakxottica, it starts out with questions of quality; then arcs all the way through China, design compromise, price, x-metal termination, and profitability.

What I like about the 2-door Porsche is that it's not for everyone all the time.

Can we please stop with the constant defending of Oakley every time somebody else posts their opinion? What's the point of this thread if you're going to post after everyone and still defend Oakley to the grave? We get it, you sell Oakley products and this is how you make money. I should say that it happens to be a good time to get into the business, eh?

Oakley reminds me of a a child that takes your car out for a joy ride when you are sleeping. You still love them but DAMN are you frustrated and disappointed!

The bottom line is that products Made in China, even if they are controlled, can still leak out, causing even better fakes and questionable product quality. I think it will be awhile before this stigma goes away but for now that's the reality we have to deal with.

I agree. Sorry, I simply repost because being a forum I thought that was the idea. =)

Also, to better state my opinion I am more defending the principals of business than Oakley in particular (hence bringing up Porsche and Jeep increased sales) and trying to let the consumer see their choices from the business side of the table. I only wanted to defend Oakley when it comes to them not making lenses in China which a few people believed to be true. I actually do not defend their moving product to China at all, but I *key word* UNDERSTAND their choice in doing so from a business aspect.

Believe it or not, although Oakley is a good seller it no where near makes close to the amount of money made from cheap sunglasses. That is how I actually pay the bills.

Some of the newer frames being released this year are even lighter yet. In my opinion when you start getting too light it can make a product feel cheap. When you have a sport pair like the new Valve and it feels light it can almost make it feel like a cheap pair. There is a careful balance when trying to go light without making it feel cheap.

I wouldn't call this statement defending Oakley. Sorry for not being clear enough but going back I can see how it looks that way. I hate the fact they moved manufacturing to China, but like I said, I get there reasons for doing so (although I don't like it). I post a lot (I know), it's something that always happens when I get involved in a forum. Sometimes to a fault. The winter months are my off season so not much to do but be online. =)

Of course! I'm 35 now and my first pair of Oakleys were the Eye Jackets back in the day. When I was 16 my first decal on my car was a White O sticker I actually had made from a vinyl store in our Mall at the time. I have always been a big fan of them, although not a collector. I also will admit I got into selling brand name eyewear for profit. Although it doesn't even compete with my original store concept (cheap sunglasses; 1 for $12, 2 for $20) I still had many people every day asking for Oakley and Ray Ban, etc. Finally I broke down and decided to revamp my business model to offer everything from the cheap up to the couture. You can come in here and spend anywhere from $5 up to over $300.

I will also be the first to admit I am in no way a GURU on Oakley past products. I always thought Oakleys were awesome as a youth and since I was very heavily into Triathlons I always had to have a cool pair that matched my bike. I didn't follow their trends nor did I know all the styles. I just wanted what my friends had and what I thought was cool looking. I only ever had maybe 4 pairs between me being 16 and 30, but then again when it comes to things like personal eyewear I am very cheap. I will wear 1 pair for 10+ years and can't justify purchasing new models each year. But that is what made me just an average Joe Oakley consumer and not a die-hard and loyal fan to the product.

Back