• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Some Misconceptions Cleared Up On Oakleys From China.

Anybody know if the standard issued sunglasses on oakleySI are still made in USA or still say it ? Im talking mainly of fuel cells batwolfs straigh jacket etc.. ?

I have had many Oakleys over years, I always have about 5 or 6 pairs as I really like them. I can say 100% that the quality of the frames is a lot worse than it was when they were being made in the US. As Clay mentioned above, the general feel of them is cheapy plastic now, the arms would close with a nice kinda click to them but now they don't. It's really sad that they have sold out and they quality of them has gone down the toilet. I recently bought a pair of Oakleys and when they arrived, I was 100% convinced that they were fake because of this cheapy feel to them. I did all the checks and checked up on the store I had bought them from etc and everything checked out and they were 100% authentic.

Really? I almost feel the opposite. If you look at the gascan for instance. To me that is the cheapest feeling within the entire line and that was around before the change in ownership. I think the greater flexibility and feel in new frames like crankshaft are better than gascan. I just always thought the old ones, although without technical faults, kinda felt plasticy; frogskin, gascan, straight jacket, minutes, etc. They don't remind you of plasticy feeling frames? The new ones have better camlock hinges and frames like the Turbine are completely flexible on the temples to better stretch.

With the upcoming changes with Luxottica taking the company over a little more and phasing out some of the higher ups of Oakley I hope Lux doesn't start making cheap plastic frames in the future. You should see some of the new Ray Bans that arrive that I have to fix right out of the box!

My TV isn't made in the USA lol

Zenith was the last USA television manufacturer. It sold a controlling interest of itself to Korean manufacturer LG in 1995, but had ceased assembling televisions in America two years prior, in 1993. Prior to Zenith being the last of it's kind, it was just Zenith and Quasar* after RCA, Magnavox, Motorola and GE left the business of American TV manufacturing, primarily by being purchased by foreign corporations (like Netherland's "Phillips").

*Quasar, was in fact an American-managed subsidiary of Matsushita, A Japanese company.

As an aside, I understand Visio is a California company - Founded, headquartered, managed, engineered, designed, and service technicians are Irvine based. However, the components of all their televisions are primarily Chinese and Taiwanese firms. The Televisions themselves are NOT manufactured in the U.S.

My Chinese made SI Flak Jacket have proven more durable than the USA made one I ordered while deployed 2 years ago. I popped out the lenses to clean them and then noticed something bad shortly after reassembly. The right lens cracked at the upper left hand corner (see pic below). I emailed SI and they were able to fix it and send it back to me within a month or two. Got back to the states and noticed it cracked again in the same spot so again I emailed SI and got an RMA (SI customer service is top notch!) Although I got it back repaired I lost faith in it so I sold it off.

IMG_2305.jpg

I missed the Flak Jacket so I decided to give it another chance and ordered another pair last November. The current pair doesn't say MADE IN USA so far no problems. In fact I don't even see any scratches and I don't baby them either.

In my opinion, country of origin is not a good indicator of quality for a particular product. There's plenty of junk made in China, however, there's plenty of quality products from there too like my Oakleys lol. Same goes for American products. US made tactical gear is well built but American cars at work (especially Fords) tend to have the most issues.

Back