• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Soooo... too bad, dont be mad, man.

• Thread starter dragonvoi
  • Start date
Compare how? I have both.

I have tincan carbon satin black with black iridium polarized. And i'm thinking if buying badman black/prizm, black/bip or none of them. What colours do you have? Compare in comfort, lens coverage, your thought about they look...

I have tincan carbon satin black with black iridium polarized. And i'm thinking if buying badman black/prizm, black/bip or none of them. What colours do you have? Compare in comfort, lens coverage, your thought about they look...

I have the Carbon Tincans in the darker grey color with black iridium polarized (the store switched the lens for me) and Badmans with the saphire lens. The cans are probably more comfortable due to the slightly lighter weight which also helps them stay in place better. They can also be adjusted more since the whole front is metal. Lens coverage appears better on be Badmans though and I prefer those because they a more unique and honestly, newer.

I have never had a pair of o-luminum sunglasses. However, why not use the C5 alloy used in the Wiretap sunglasses. I have a pair and whilst I think the X metal is the pinnacle of sunglasses design, the C5 alloy is quite good. Failing that why not use titanium (light and tough).

Am I being naive, or just missinformed? :idk:

Any thoughts?

I would actually pay more for something that had something a bit more unique, within reason (like the X metals had).

People spend hundreds on pieces of moulded plastic (me included, although I try to keep it to a minimum :)). When we are talking about the signature series, something stylish an unique would have people reaching for their wallets like the X metals did.

Look at what people are willing to pay now, some are going for $1000s on ebay! Not that I would or could for that matter.

My guess would be cost and availability?
Bingo... O-luminum is cheaper and easier to manufacture under Oakley's existing infrastructure. It's all about creating a product as cheaply as possible to maximize the revenue you receive from the premium price you charge. Lux is in the business of making money, they do this very well, if they didn't, they, and hence Oakley would not be profitable and wouldn't exist. Sounds like the margins on the original titanium alloy were just too slim. The original Xmetals were flipping awesome, that's what I collect and enjoy. The next xmetals are from a different company with different materials. That's not to say they aren't awesome in their own right though! I still haven't held a pair in my hands yet to make a determination. For me they are priced a bit too high... Will likely pick up a madman when they are sig cheaper. Just have to play the waiting game. :)

Interesting, you confirmed what I thought about the materials and echoed my thoughts on the price. In fact you also mentioned the Madman, which is my preference! Are you reading my thoughts???!!!:lol:

I have never had a pair of o-luminum sunglasses. However, why not use the C5 alloy used in the Wiretap sunglasses. I have a pair and whilst I think the X metal is the pinnacle of sunglasses design, the C5 alloy is quite good. Failing that why not use titanium (light and tough).

Am I being naive, or just missinformed? :idk:

Any thoughts?

There was a C5 prototype Madman at one of the Collector Events and most people felt it was very heavy.

There was a C5 prototype Madman at one of the Collector Events and most people felt it was very heavy.

Interesting! I guess if we start seeing more of these snapped frames, the extra weight may be a worthwhile trade off. However, I am willing to concede that it may be too heavy seeing as I have not seen that prototype.

How about a fusion product? O-luminum for the main frame and C5 for the arms where the smaller more fragile bits are? This probably introduces issues with wear and tear between two different metals and still too heavy on the nose. If life were simpler...:errwhat::)

Back