• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sort By "Best Sellers" On Oakley.com

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
Does anyone know whether the order in which the glasses are sorted under "Best Sellers" actually relate in any way to the truth of how well each frame is selling? Is it linked in any way to Oakley sales figures - or is it just Oakley's marketing chaps hyping up frames that they want to sell more of?

It's just I am kinda struggling to be convinced that, currently, the site would have me believe that the Splinter is the best selling 'Active' frame - and that it, along with Blender, Whisker, Half X, and Tightrope . . . . all out-sell the X-Squared and Juliet.

I mean, I understand in the case of the XS <Herb pauses for some cheap heat from the crowd> . . . . but the Juliet?!?!?!

Then looking at 'Lifestyle' - is Dispatch 2 really their best-selling frame at the moment? REALLY??
And Oil Rigs outselling Frogs??
And look at Fuel Cells right down the list. You guys in OF-land are buying Fuel Cells ALL THE TIME. The 'Recent Purchases' section is awash with them.

So . . . . can someone 'in the know' please tell me . . . .

Sorting by 'Best Sellers' on oakley.com . . . .

It's bollocks, right?

I don't think it's "bollocks".

You have to remember that all of us here on the forum don't represent the general public who purchase sunglasses to wear and not collect. This forum also moves in certain directions at any given time. Remember in the summer when everyone and their grandmother was talking about or looking to buy a Goldbrook? I barely hear a peep about them now. Lately it seems everyone is buying more metals since the announcement they were going away in 2013. Maybe next month, everyone will be talking about Frogs again.

Honestly, who in their right mind would pay $400 for a pair of sunglasses? It only makes sense that the sales on the "cheaper" pairs blow away the X Metal.

And while the wires appeal to a more mature audience, the O-matter are really for the younger/hip generation of teenagers/young adults. They're priced cheaper and more in the price range for HS/college students.

And Frogs are just for collectibility. Let's face it, frogs scream 80's and not everyone loved the 80's. The frog collectors don't really scramble for general releases.

Thanks D. I hear what you are saying, and certainly about the X-metals.

I was very surprised to see a load of Wires up there as best sellers though. And the Dispatch 2. It just panged a little to me of a marketing thing.

Actually, it is what they r pushing not selling. Right now Fuel Cell and Batwolf r the two biggest sellers with Holbrook right behind. Oil rigs prob do sell more than frogs and r still very popular belive it or not. Everytime a new frame releases it makes the list so they can push the sales.

I know alot of people who STILL only purchase Oil Rigs because of t-pain... ignorant bastards.
and i know LOADS of people who are still dying for a pair of gascans...because they have an "o" on them,and they feel like they're the cheapest oakleys they
can find... (because sunglass hut tells them so)

i agree with splice....
we don't account for ANY of oakleys sales... given,some people on here have several displays full of sunnies...
but there's THOUSANDS of people walking into o-stores or SGH's looking to pick up ANY pair of O's on a daily basis...
and from comments i get after i tell people what i paid for my Oakleys, they would not go in there and pay even $90.00
for a pair of sunglasses...
So...lets say they DID decide to "splurge" on a pair of oakleys... they would probably try and spend the least amount of money.
from what i know... that is the case with almost everyone that sparks up a convo with my sunnies.
given the exception of people on here, the people i know that work at oakley, and a few select others.

I hear you Johnny H.
Splice and yourself make valid points regarding the O-Matter being cheaper and therefore more likely to sell to the average man on the street.

But I just can't see the Dispatch 2 flying off the shelves for the reasons you describe (or, in fact, for any reason :smile: ).

The same goes for the Splinter.

And why aren't Gascans and Fuel Cells further up the list if they are, as you suggest, the Oakley for the Average Joe?

My feeling is still that the "Best Sellers" actually just relate to what Oakley marketing want to push to their customers.
It's like - Let's get a banner up for the Dispatch 2 and say it's our best seller, and oh we're not selling many Wires at the moment, get them up the list too.

Which is a bit cheeky really tbh.

I think it's smart marketing. Is it a bit shady? Maybe, but i'm sure everyone does it to a certain degree. If you're a business owner and have a new product to sell after investing a ton of money into, wouldn't you try to push it to make it as successful as you can?

even tho I cant wear them cuz they are too big I'd say Fuel cells are definitely at the top for o matter anyway

I think it's smart marketing. Is it a bit shady? Maybe, but i'm sure everyone does it to a certain degree. If you're a business owner and have a new product to sell after investing a ton of money into, wouldn't you try to push it to make it as successful as you can?

Of course - hence the banners and promo when you go to the site etc.
It's just to suggest that a new frame immediately tops the sales charts is a bit funny.
But then - what else could they do? Put it at the bottom?! :smile:

I just wonder how the decisions are made in terms of what order the frames are listed then?
If it's based on marketing new products or bad sellers, then it's kinda the opposite of 'best sellers' - which would make stuff at the bottom (Fuel Cell, Hijinx, Antix etc) good sellers.
But then, if that was the case, why are they considering discontinuing the Jinx and Antix.

I think it's interesting - it could just be random.

I'm sure an insider on here will know - or someone with a Marketing degree!

I don't have a marketing degree, but i do have a few friends who do and currently work in marketing and we talk about this kind of stuff a lot.

I think it's just good business sense. Discontinuing items makes room for new products. While you want market dominance, you also don't want to over-flood it with products. Anytime you give a consumer too much choice, you end up confusing them and they take a step back. You provide a line-up that's smaller and the consumer is not overwhelmed. You also want to stay fresh. Not only do you want to keep up with the latest trends, but you also want to be a "trend-setter".

Latest Posts

Back