• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SPAM! How Do We Stop It?

I wonder if we could also limit accounts to where they can only use a mainstream email address (hotmail, yahoo, google, etc).

I reported 3 threads yesterday. re-CAPTCHA might work.
I remembered when I first registered there was this prompt that an admin must first evaluate the application before an account is activated. Is that process still on going?

Several new threads this morning and I can't report them from Tapatalk. Is there a way to change that or set it up to do so?

I just went through and deleted all the reported threads. I went back to the old Question & Answer anti spam registration since it seems we had a lot more Spammer register in the 24hours of Captcha than previously.

could you have to use the Captcha on your first few posts then once you have hit a threshold that would go away?

I'll look into doing both. The issue is that spam bots can solve captcha's. So implementing captcha's site wide still wouldn't stop spam, it would just be more annoying for real users. I like some of these suggestions though, so I'll look into what it would take to implement them.

Like batwolf said, implement some sort of stricter email verification to ensure members are real before they even have access to post.

Also, implement a similar system to the exchange rule for signatures. Do not allow posters to put signatures until after a certain amount of posts, this will make it much less appealing for human spammers just looking to SEO

Back