• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Speculative Vs Informed Posts On Oakley Products, The Brand, Its Future

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I'm writing this as I grow more and more frustrated with the content being posted whenever topics arise that directly discuss or lead to discussion centric to Oakley's current practice, Luxottica involvement, and the future of the brand from a product or innovation view.

It's getting really frustrating. And it doesn't do anything positive when people begin speaking in absolute terms on subjects they have no authority on. Yes, I have beat this dead horse before, but I still see it coming up and I really hope we can do something about it.

Last time someone made comments saying that I was favorable towards Lux (in not so many words). And it seems my message is being lost.

So let me be clear: I am speaking about the WAY in which you word your post, not the message or the content you're trying to convey. I'm by no means trying to quell negative comments, or censor harsh statements. What I have a problem with is when people make factual statements without any substance.

Let's look at an example. I don't want to intentionally call out any member, but I'm using this as an example as it fits quite well:
It won't be called X Metal or be made of X Metal, it will be another Lux item slotted where they don't currently have a product.
It will simply be another product in their vast line of products.
This was written about the evolution/replacement of X-Metals slated for a few years from now.

The 2 posts above it were almost exactly the same in terms of content, but had a few words written differently:
Whilst I think Oakley will come out with a new line of higher end glasses made with more exotic materials than O matter, I doubt if its going to be called X metal, have a trade mark X nose piece with no obvious 'O' icon.
I also wonder if it will have such out of the box styling like the X metals- I fear it will have to be more mainstream to shift in numbers Lux would want.
^ It does seem rather unlikely that they would prepare a product for market unless they were confident they could get the mainstream numbers they would want from almost any high end pair.

Read them again. I do hope you can see my point.

Information is coming from a lot of sources. Some of it is mere speculation presented as fact. And I'm not sure members always realize what they're doing. Maybe they're venting, maybe they're just not expressing themselves as well as they'd like, or how they think they are in their head.

All it takes is someone coming in and reading statements like that, draw a conclusion based on who's posting it, and they absorb it like they do any other Oakley facts and regurgitate it into the next conversation. And it spreads.

I just ask that we please be careful with how we write and express ourselves, and try to stay away from speaking in concrete terms when information is not there to back it up.

im going to try and word this as clear as i possibly can.HAHAHAHAHA
RUSTPOT YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!
FINALLY THANK YOU!!!!!!!

A great post that is well written and was obviously well thought out. I agree with you 100%.

I tend to avoid posts like the one you mentioned because it seems like walking into an argument, but you are dead on with your point about one member's post turning into another member's "fact".

In the thread you referenced I brought up that some members who attended the RED event mentioned getting some info about the future of the Xmetal line. A member who attended chimed in with what they were told, and it seemed as though a majority just ignored that section of the thread and started posting wild opinions and personal theories.

Obviously this is a public forum and people are entitled to their own opinions and views, but when those opinions turn into a platform for portraying unsubstantiated claims as fact or for certain, I think more has been lost than gained.

I'm writing this...back it up.

Lighten up Francis.

If someone takes a subjective opinionated comment by an unidentified forum member on the internet (international source of truth) as fact, then that person is a fool. I know the difference between a well-informed factual post (usually accompanied by an RvF or GRF) and a frustrated collector like the ones you've quoted above. If others cannot do the same, they are not ready for the internet and its myriad of information. I don't see ShadeStation or HighSnobiety or any websites that are involved with Oakley misconstruing what we have here as a peer-reviewed resource for good information on Oakley's future.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. While I do know some models very well there is still so much to learn. I am relatively new to the Oakley game compared to some but I do try to get as much info absorbed as possible. Its a lot to learn when your late to the game but Im trying.

I hope they don't sell a premium priced sunglasses. Sgh sells bvlgari glasses for $450 I don't know who would buy it knowing its all made by same company next to $100 glasses.

Lighten up Francis.

If someone takes a subjective opinionated comment by an unidentified forum member on the internet (international source of truth) as fact, then that person is a fool. I know the difference between a well-informed factual post (usually accompanied by an RvF or GRF) and a frustrated collector like the ones you've quoted above. If others cannot do the same, they are not ready for the internet and its myriad of information. I don't see ShadeStation or HighSnobiety or any websites that are involved with Oakley misconstruing what we have here as a peer-reviewed resource for good information on Oakley's future.
There is a major difference. We have members who don't know who is whom, and don't know which members speak from experience, or are mouthing frustrations. Because when you write OPINION as FACT you are misrepresenting yourself.

I don't care that it's all part of a discussion and one should only take what is written at face value. It's still wrong. And it's still worded as though it is not.

If you can't see it then I can't help you any further.

Back