• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Speculative Vs Informed Posts On Oakley Products, The Brand, Its Future

There is a major difference. We have members who don't know who is whom, and don't know which members speak from experience, or are mouthing frustrations. Because when you write OPINION as FACT you are misrepresenting yourself.

I don't care that it's all part of a discussion and one should only take what is written at face value. It's still wrong. And it's still worded as though it is not.

If you can't see it then I can't help you any further.

I don't need any help, I know speculation when I see it. Perhaps you are the one that cannot. The three posts that you quoted are obviously speculatory and/or frustrated statements.

The first post cites Lux's "vast line of products," indicating the member recognizes Lux's huge line of sunglasses and implying that the X-Metals will just get tossed in the mix.

The second post clearly says "I think" and "I doubt," which are inherently opinion-based.

The third post comments on the unlikelihood of something happening, which is also speculatory.

So perhaps you cannot read through the lines or identify these kinds of things. To get bent out of shape over interwebz things that have no bearing on anything real is silly. If OakleyJoe wants to post about X-Metals being Y-Metal in 2020 and made of graphene, he can go right ahead, it doesn't mean it's going to happen or that this clown from Des Moines, Iowa, has any reliable information.

Proof is in the pudding.

I heard from a reliable source that the new X-metal line is going to be made out of a silly putty base with play-doh as a hardened exterior. It will be stiff with a good bit of flexibility.

I heard from a reliable source that the new X-metal line is going to be made out of a silly putty base with play-doh as a hardened exterior. It will be stiff with a good bit of flexibility.
By the way. I'm willing to give up my reliable source if anyone would like to know who it is.

This ^

h52q.jpg

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/science-wrapped-in-art-and-play-doh.21402/

hahahaha Frank, that actually made me LOL

Rustpot,
I get where you're coming from, and I can see you're extremely passionate about Oakley, but you have to concede that there should be an accepted and inherent understanding that when you're reading something on the internet, and specifically on a public forum, there is going to be a myriad of mininformation scattered about with factual info. It takes context, reason and critical thinking to determine which is and which isn't, but I think that the way you are wording your complaint, it comes off as basically trying to limit what people post based on whether it is informed or not, which you just simply can't do. Not only will that effectively shut down half of this forum since discussion based on speculation happens often but it directly limits freedom of speech. I think you, as well as everyone else, really just needs to take what's written here with a grain of salt. Anyone who visits this forum is 99.9% already familiar with Oakley and at least some of their products, they don't need to be educated by us here on what Oakley is or does. Anything beyond that is Oakley's responsibility to retain customers, not yours or mine or anyone elses. No offense at all meant in this post btw dude.

hahahaha Frank, that actually made me LOL

Rustpot,
I get where you're coming from, and I can see you're extremely passionate about Oakley, but you have to concede that there should be an accepted and inherent understanding that when you're reading something on the internet, and specifically on a public forum, there is going to be a myriad of mininformation scattered about with factual info. It takes context, reason and critical thinking to determine which is and which isn't,
This isn't a matter of misinformation, this is people not knowing they sound like idiots when they post in absolute terms. Mostly not engaging in conversation, just posting "well Lux wouldn't let Oakley design anything cool anyway, they only care about square frames". A post like that is just plain STUPID. Because the person writing it is presenting their thoughts as fact. There's a disconnect.

Maybe they never learned how to write. I shouldn't assume everyone is able to express themselves well through written English.

but I think that the way you are wording your complaint, it comes off as basically trying to limit what people post based on whether it is informed or not, which you just simply can't do. Not only will that effectively shut down half of this forum since discussion based on speculation happens often but it directly limits freedom of speech. I think you, as well as everyone else, really just needs to take what's written here with a grain of salt. Anyone who visits this forum is 99.9% already familiar with Oakley and at least some of their products, they don't need to be educated by us here on what Oakley is or does. Anything beyond that is Oakley's responsibility to retain customers, not yours or mine or anyone elses. No offense at all meant in this post btw dude.
This is precisely what I said I was NOT doing.

The two statements:
1. Lux was why X-Metals were shut down
2. I think Lux was why X-Metals were shut down

Are two completely different statements. Neither is based in fact, those of us on the forum who keep up with things can discern that about the first, sure, but I see statements formed as the first often.

I don't care what you write. You can talk all day about how Oakley isn't as innovative, the brand is dead, there is no future, woe are us true collectors, or whatever else. But when you make factual statements that are based on nothing but your feelings... Yeah I've got a problem with that. It's wrong. It's improperly written. It's misconstruing your post. It's not properly representing what you want to add to the topic at hand.

I think it does the forum a disservice, it does new members a disservice, and it creates more chaff for one to have to sort through.

I get what you're saying, but it would be absolutely impossible for the moderators of this site to police every time someone posted a statement that sounded factual but isn't. And it really does infringe of freedom of speech, no matter how nit-picky that may be. That being said, freedom of speech isn't a given on a privately owned board, however I think to save yourself some frustration you're better off ignoring the posts that jump out at you like this or you could respectfully respond to each and every one if you have the time for it.
I know that I've said more than once (being facetious) that Oakley's limited releases of X amount will eventually turn into XX amount in the future.. it is clearly speculative, clearly exactly the type of post you're referring to, and yet, I would expect people with any interest in the topic to take what they read on a forum with a grain of salt and use this shrouded opinion however they see fit.

Just my .02

I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed. I never said anything about increased moderating, removing content, changing rules.

I'm asking people to think before they post.

Gotcha. That's a horse of a different color. I can definitely understand and respect that - but you've gotta expect that people post on here as quickly as they think ... It sucks but it's the truth

Latest Posts

Back