• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spider-webbed +Red Iridium Lenses In Ti Whisker Frames

Ryan_C

Oakley Expert
IN
So I have a pair of Titanium Whisker Pewter w +red iridium lens - model 12-781
These were one of my favorite pairs to wear until one weird day last summer. Both lens mysteriously became spiderwebbed. They are not scratched but are surely hard to see through. I have contemplated on putting some aftermarket lens in them just so I can use them, but haven't come across a good replacement.

Does anyone have any info on the lenses? Is this an issue that Oakley would stand behind and replace for me? I don't have a receipt from my original purchase, but everything else I do, like box, papers, etc.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions in helping!

It's only a one year warranty. I haven't heard of this problem. +red lenses are hard to find but other colors are easily available.

I wasn't in a pool or ocean, but was at a freshwater lake. Is this a lens that Oakley still stocks?

Yeah, I always make sure to clean my glasses if I ever go in any water. Even if it's a lake, you have no idea what's in the water.

Customer service might have the lenses.

Here is the damage to O lenses I have noticed over the years:

Peeling of coating on back of lens due to sweat or sunblock contact
Polycarb breakdown due to UV damage - looks like millions of small, internal bubbles.
Stress cracking - lenses under stress just snap in one large crack, or show lots of small cracks, like the nosebridge of a Zero.

I own any wires, some ten years old, and I haven't seen the lenses stress crack. Can you post a picture, Ryan?

Pics posted

I got some pics...
Lens # 1
photo1xbe.jpg

photo2rel.jpg

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lens # 2
photo3xl.jpg

photo4xu.jpg

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Looking through the other way, showing not marks on lens.
photo5qv.jpg

Those spider webs can be seen either way you look through them.

Sucks to hear man, I really like that frame I have two pair of them and I am looking for a set if the Ti/+red and no luck yet. I would give Oakley a call and see what they have for you.

Latest Posts

Back