• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spine question for those who know

saltparrot

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
La La Land
just HOW heavy is it? Is it something that a guy and his wife could move alone? And thoughts on whether it would fit in the back of a jeep grand cherokee?

Hey! The spine case is heavy! The shelves are all glass, they come right out. The "walls" are plexi, as are the doors, but it's all bolted to the base. If you take it apart you and your wife absolutely can move it together...(in pieces) If you keep it together like I did mine you'll need another guy. ( No insult to your wife if she's an MMA champion or something)

As for the jeep...together the case is 76 inches high and 46 across at its widest point, which are the legs. I used a Denali and it slid right in in its back on some blankets. Together I don't think a grand Cherokee has the length, but you can easily measure. You may end up taking it apart. It has been discussed in other threads and is easy to do, but I have not done it.

Thanks @cyclerdoug that's very helpful. Sounds like if I go for it that I'll be taking it apart! I was able to barely fit the X-Metal case which was only 72" - it had me pressed against the steering wheel. Not really savvy on renting a truck so it's either task rabbiting this or taking it apart - if it's easy enough to do, I'll just do that.

Thanks!

And no... my wife is not an MMA champion, so no offense taken.

Thanks @cyclerdoug that's very helpful. Sounds like if I go for it that I'll be taking it apart!
And no... my wife is not an MMA champion, so no offense taken.

Nice! I'm in the car business and my employer is quite nice and I have access to a variety of vehicles and when that case came available an hour from my house we just happened to have a Denali on one of our lots so I measured and grabbed it.

Mine was missing the lower doors, I just had them cut from diamond plate and put them on...working on a useable latch tonight, as a matter of fact.

I used a Mitsubishi Endeavor (about the same size as a Grand Cherokee) and dismantled, the case fit just fine. If you take it apart, you'll only need help with the main cabinet. The rest is easy to move.

Good luck! Definitely one of the nicest cases :)

My post from another thread. Just an FYI:

I recently purchased a spine case locally and completely dismantled it (easily) for transport. You'll just need a set of Allen keys and an adjustable wrench for the bottom cabinet bolts. Very easy, but takes some time. Be sure to lay it down before unbolting anything! Also be careful of the side with the wiring for the lights. You'll need to disconnect it from inside the bottom cabinet and pull it through the leg before removing it.

Hey @toosteeley I've got a question for you, since you stopped in!

Does your Spine have an On/Off switch for the lighting anywhere? On the case itself or the cord? Mine works fine and I even put the L.E.D.'s in, but to turn it on and off I have to unplug it.

Mine did not have a switch anywhere on it and didn't come with a transformer for the lights. My father in law and I added a toggle switch kinda hidden and he gave me a transformer that he used for his train sets. My wife and I carried mine up the stairs was a bitch but we did it.

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

Latest Posts

Back