• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Split Fire

• Thread starter marc2040
  • Start date
Brave and more brave...never saw anyone glue/tape a lens to another one before...and a file? that takes way too long lol..

Nice job, but why cut a lens that is readily available? Just extra jawbone lenses and practice? I have yet to upgrade my dremel as well. Trusty old 3000 series gets new brushes in the motor annually lol. I determine speed by sound rather than the switch setting. I don't know if I could do an auto rev type speed thing. Lack of precise control would be tough. I use the cordless also at times, but not for heavy cutting cuz the 10.8v li-ion one has an inherent problem when it loads up under stress the circuit boards pop! Not good...

Lots of fun though...

yeah Doc, you get me about how the 3000's "throttle" style control feels more intuitive.. you get a feel for it. the 4000 feels fiddly with a seperate on-off from the speed control. its good at keeping the revs up when you're chewing through something thick though... but when cutting lenses, you'll never need that. i was using it on some metal fab work, so it came in handy.

and file... thats dedication man.

I got the 4000 for Christmas also. Loving it so far. Chopped some BIR lenses for my Matte Blk Fatcats that had some beater grey lenses in them. I used standard half jacket lenses. The curve is slightly off but the went in pretty smoothly and the optics do not appear to be thrown off. They have a little more curve in the orbital, the look is kind off cool and they were a beater pair anyway. My cream with Gold Iridium are mint and I would never think of doing that to them.

yeah Doc, you get me about how the 3000's "throttle" style control feels more intuitive.. you get a feel for it. the 4000 feels fiddly with a seperate on-off from the speed control. its good at keeping the revs up when you're chewing through something thick though... but when cutting lenses, you'll never need that. i was using it on some metal fab work, so it came in handy.

and file... thats dedication man.
i can imagine it woul help a bit on the metal end, but I have air tools for that stuff, including an air driven dremel type tool lol. Harbor freight special baby ha! Have yet to use it, but it looks fun. I prefer the more pencil like old wand of the dremel vs the new fat one as well. I don't know what I will do if and when mine dies on me...I am on my 2nd one already lol. I have to say, if you do your normal brush changes and such, Dremels are very reliable tools. So many uses for them. I got my first one for my 15th b-day and have owned one since.

The lenses were left from a dead project and I don't own a Jawbone frame. So that was the easiest and fastest way to get fire lenses for my Split Jacket.
As I said before, everybody has his own cutting style and for me it works perfect to tape them together.
And yes, I've used a small file to "cut" my lenses. One lens took ages, but the results were always very accurate. Useless to say that it is much more comfy now.
How many rpm do run your dremel? Yesterday I've tried 5.000 up to 10.000 and for me 10.000rpm felt like the right speed.

i can imagine it woul help a bit on the metal end, but I have air tools for that stuff, including an air driven dremel type tool lol. Harbor freight special baby ha! Have yet to use it, but it looks fun. I prefer the more pencil like old wand of the dremel vs the new fat one as well. I don't know what I will do if and when mine dies on me...I am on my 2nd one already lol. I have to say, if you do your normal brush changes and such, Dremels are very reliable tools. So many uses for them. I got my first one for my 15th b-day and have owned one since.

Yeah the plan is for air tools next. i really need them or work on the car... and i agree the old dremel flexi... i say if it dies, get another 3000 lol. i still feel like theres finer control with electrical stuff, esp around lenses and such..

marc, impressive effort with the file. im hoping it was just a small modification?

marc, impressive effort with the file. im hoping it was just a small modification?

Do you remember the +Red Splice? Donor was a Straight Jacket II lens and I had to file off a lot.

Back