• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Splurged on Badman... wondering about its future value

haha. That would be funny to ask a financial adviser with a serious face "so, I'm thinking of diversifying my portfolio into X-metals. Would there be a way to create a fund that incorporates X-metals?" :)

Seriously though, I've actually wondered how much value X-metals would have 15-20 years down the road from now. I wondered if they'd be "worth" passing to my kids etc. You are right that the general trend can not be ignored.

Perhaps it's time to sell high and get out of them? The timing of that is extremely tricky. I am still in the "collector phase" of deeming the small collection I have as Permanent. But I just don't know how long that "permanence" is because people inevitably get bored of their collection after time right?

I've never really collected anything worth a hoot before and I first learned of X-metals in 2012, so my love for them is still strong. It would kinda stink if by the time I fell out of love of them, the trend regressed back to original retail. Then I would be taking a good hit on them :(

David

Well, did you collect them in the first place for their potential resell value?

Personally, I've never sold off any of my collections. My interest may shift to something else, but often I'll come back around again further down the road. We'll see if that continues to hold true in the future.

But otherwise I expect my next of kin will be disposing of (or keeping) my collections. Their ultimate fate then, I'll be past caring...

Well, did you collect them in the first place for their potential resell value?

no, I got into it because they were intriguing and now I just generally and genuinely like them. I'm just thinking down the line if/when I get bored and wanted to sell them off, it'd be nice to recoup what I have in them.

So I just checked out the various "unparalleled TRUE X-Metal" and they look like alien sunglasses to me.
I like the styling of the Badman far better.

It also beat out the crosshair/wiretap/etc. that I tried at the store.

Its interesting to learn that Oakley is owned by another company now. Do you think they've lost their integrity?

After such a ripoff I probably won't be purchasing Oakley again. Although I am badly in need of a replacement pol. black iridum lens for my batwolf.

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

Its interesting to learn that Oakley is owned by another company now. Do you think they've lost their integrity?

After such a ripoff I probably won't be purchasing Oakley again. Although I am badly in need of a replacement pol. black iridum lens for my batwolf.

You kind of answered your own question in there. The Luxottica buyout happened in 2007, so if Oakley lost any integrity you didn't notice, because the Batwolf came out in 2010 (three years after the buyout). You can always look to the aftermarket for replacement lens, if you don't want to support Oakley?

Dead horse? Sorry for speaking my mind. I haven't visited this forum in years.
But after hearing from you folks Oakley has lots some of its mystique in my eyes.

I love the Batwolf its a phenomenal frame. Where do you suppose I might find a new lens for less than $130??

Well do you know that, in addition to Oakley, Luxottica also owns Ray-Ban, Oliver Peoples, and Persol (along with six other brands)?

And they make eyewear under license for Armani, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Dolce & Gabbana, DKNY, Michael Kors, Polo / Ralph Lauren, Prada, Tiffany, Versace, and others?

And they also own Sunglass Hut, Lenscrafters, Pearle Vision, Sears Optical, Target Optical, and others?

I guess there's still Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim; Luxottica hasn't bought them. Yet...

Oops Costa Del Mar was bought by the French international eyewear conglomerate Essilor a little over a year ago.

But Maui Jim and Kaenon are still privately owned American companies. Even though Maui Jims are made in Italy and Japan, And Kaenons in Italy.

Back