• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spring hinges on new Oakleys? Tinfoil Carbon Frames also...

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
Off the top of your heads, what rather thin or smaller even wire like frames now come with a spring like hinge mechanism? I'm looking at the Tinfoil Carbon glasses and they look nice, they have "cam action barrel hinges"...can anyone comment on those as well? I like my square wire 2.0s, but looking for newer glasses that can take the new Prizm lenses. Thoughts? THANKS!

You can go to Oakley.com and sort by Prizm. Since most of the Prizm lenses are sports-specific you find a large variety of sports frames. The only wire with Prizm is a Square Wire with DPP.

The TinCan/TinFoil use a barrel cam. It's a nice feature, but as with any relies on a spring to maintain tension. O Matter uses the spring of the frame, wires have to use other means. They've been out a while and I don't recall reading any issues.

I will check out the TinFoil glasses tomorrow, and they do offer them in Prizm...not the carbon version though. BUT...I don't see why I can't get a carbon frame later have Prizm lenses installed in them...I just don't see replacement lenses being sold for them. O Matter is just far too much frame for me. The TinCan looks nice, but I think the half frame of the TinFoil looks a bit better. Have to pick up some lenses waiting for me at my store tomorrow...will check them out. Just curious if I was missing something else that had tension hinges. Thanks man.

What about the "Conductor"? What is the difference between the 6 and the 8?? They have spring hinges as well. I don't see them with a carbon frame, but they are thin and are probably rather light. They do come in different color polarized lenses to. I will have to take a look at these as well. There are some really sick deals going around for the Ferrari TInfoil glasses, hope I like them because I can get them at a good price. I managed to get a nice Ferrari Blade NIB for $140, and I LOVE those glasses. Opinions on the Conductor? THANKS!! (I need to get some newer glasses aside from X-Metals)

Cam hinges work great, but I dont trust spring hinges. Never a happy ending in my experiences.

Are the Square Wire 2.0s considered spring hinges? If so, I have 5 pairs...and they all work great. I have 3 that I use in rotation, and two stored with back up lenses as "back up frames". They are my favorite glasses. I got a couple pairs of Half Jackets that I plan to use for casual dress and when doing activities outdoors. I usually wear the SW 2.0s with a suit or more formal attire. So basically, I want to get new glasses that have the option for Prizm lenses or polarized iridium lenses. I like the Ferrari TinFoil...got the blade with +OO red polar ruby lenses, they are nice. Thinking of getting them in black also. I will know more when I see them tomorrow at the store. Anything else with spring type hinges that I should look at? Thank you gentlemen.

The "Wiretap" also looks cool. Small frame, spring hinges, polarized...sounds good. No carbon fiber option though. Looks light enough that it's probably not a must. I'll check it out though...

Latest Posts

Back