• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Square Wire 2.0 Aftermarket Lenses - Canada

That might be your best bet for a Taper. Loads on ebay so if you find a pair and they fit well, but that don't have the lenses you want you can order the ones you want somewhere else.

Or buy it somewhere with free return shipping and return it if you don't like it.

So just to confirm (sorry, because I'm totally new to this!), if you were supplying the lenses, that'd be Oakley Black Iridium Polarized? YES
So you just use a donor lens from another Oakley BIP and cut it to size? YES :)
I assume I'd just send you money via paypal or something like that? YES

What company/method would you be using to send them back? US POSTAL SERVICE

As for the a-wire, is that a currently style they do, or some older one? VINTAGE
Do you have a pic? So do you mean that the current lens is gold iridium but I could supply a different lens? YES YOU COULD SUPPLY WHATEVER LENS YOU LIKE, @SiRacer420 MIGHT HAVE SOME.

Oh and you mentioned other colours... Is the Oakley Prizm Daily Polarized an option to custom cut for the square wires? YES How would that compare price-wise to what you quoted me for the Oakley BIP lenses? $10-20 MORE

You shouldn't have told me about Taper. That seems to be discontinued as well and I love the look of that, lol. :) How long ago were they last available? MAYBE A COUPLE YEARS BACK. Looks very similar to the square wire 2.0. BIGGER :)

So on bright days, how do you feel the DPP compares to the BIP? VERY CLOSE IN MY OPINION, DPP IF THE NEWER EASIER TO SUPPLY OPTION. THEY ARE STILL VERY DARK.
Here's what I'm considering... Get the lenses replaced by @Chris A Hardaway in my current square wires. Then I happily wear them and look after them. If at some point the spring fails in the hinges, or a new pair comes out that I really love, pop the custom lenses out and sell them (to recoup some of the money there, providing they're still in good shape), put the old lenses back into the square wires and then sell them to Oakley for 50% off a new pair. NOT A BAD IDEA IF YOU LOVE THEM.

My only worry is that I replace the lenses and the spring fails shortly thereafter. I realize it will eventually fail, but I'd be royally pissed off if they failed very soon after. I know that no one can say for sure, but wondering what thoughts are on likely longevity? GO SHOW A PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU A GUT FEELING.

If/when the spring fails, are they totally done at that point? I'm assuming it's not an easy fix... THE TEMPLE COULD BE SOLDERED BACK ON, BUT THE SITTING CAN'T BE REPAIRED, SO THEY'LL JUST OPEN/CLOSE.

Thanks! CHEERS RJ/CHRIS

Graham.

Still lots of places that have the Taper (usually at good prices) The new Square wire is also available with the lenses you want. DPP works great in full sun. If you are on a glacier you will want something darker though. OO BIP has a mild pink tint (very pleasant imho) and I normally prefer it to BIP. Chris is great. If you are having him ship you something get the DPP lenses for the Juliet if he hasn't sold them yet (he made me a set for mine).

Ooo, DPP on the Juliets... Is it easy enough for me to swap them in/out as I want? I'm definitely not normally on a glacier (despite what some Americans may think Canada is year round :) ), so that's good to hear they're good in full sun too.

Thanks for the detailed response Chris! Will have a think. As I say, gotta wait another week to meet the exchange criteria anyway.

Just wanted to ask about the posts quoted above. Do you still have the dpp for Juliet's? What would they set me back to add to the same shipment if I end up getting the cuts? Would I need to send you my Juliet's too? Much to ponder while I wait the week to meet the criteria!

And who would you suggest to check the spring on my current square wires? You said professional. Are you thinking it'd need to be an official Oakley store? As opposed to a sunglass hut or optician, etc.

How do your vintage a wires compare in size/shape to the square wire 2.0?

Thanks!

Graham.

IMG_20160302_164413.jpg
15973.jpeg

The "Thick A-Wire" is brand new (but vintage) and is about the same size as a square wire 2.0
It however doesn't have spring hinges (which in my opinion makes it more durable).
The prizm daily polarized setup I have for Juliet's in seeking cheap because they have one scratch on the outer left lens. Just visible in pictures. Stay in touch. I honestly just do this as a hobby. Please keep that in mind that I don't have a ton of extra time.
A professional didn't work at an Oakley store, trust me on that. A professional I'd a certified optician with experience :) so I'd go to an optometry office, preferably one that has an RX lab on site!
Hope that helps buddy.

View attachment 243381 View attachment 243382
The "Thick A-Wire" is brand new (but vintage) and is about the same size as a square wire 2.0
It however doesn't have spring hinges (which in my opinion makes it more durable).
The prizm daily polarized setup I have for Juliet's in seeking cheap because they have one scratch on the outer left lens. Just visible in pictures. Stay in touch. I honestly just do this as a hobby. Please keep that in mind that I don't have a ton of extra time.
A professional didn't work at an Oakley store, trust me on that. A professional I'd a certified optician with experience :) so I'd go to an optometry office, preferably one that has an RX lab on site!
Hope that helps buddy.

Thanks very much Chris!

I'll definitely have a think over the next week about what I might like to do.

Sorry about taking your time up with these questions! I do appreciate it's just a hobby and very much appreciate your time.

I do quite like the look of the a-wires. I'm a little confused on pricing as you mentioned if I provided the lenses, shipping and cut would run me $60. But they obviously have lenses already... I'm assuming it's one cost for the frames & current lenses, then the $60 if I wanted to have new lenses cut/shipped for them? No rush for an answer on this, can chat once I have full access.

Take care and will be in touch in a week or so once I have access!

Graham.

I'm responding to this (very dead :)) thread now because I had my Tapers for about 8 years or so, and loved them. Lost them a couple of months back, so started investigating a replacement. I guess it's silly to do serious research on sunglasses, but I did. I am just incredibly picky. It matters a lot to me how they look, how they feel on my face, etc. I tried all sorts of brands, found a few I liked okay, but nothing that I liked as much as my old Taper. Oakley couldn't get them, and in fact, the support people didn't even know what I was talking about when I called and e-mailed and spoke to different people there. I guess the people I spoke to were just not sunglass nutjobs. lol That's okay, though. After trying a few and doing more research, I took a risk and ordered the Square Wire. Although it's technically just a tiny bit smaller than the Taper in millimeters, it really made no difference that I can tell in real life. The Square Wire is SO similar to the Taper it's ridiculous. I'd guess they are the Taper 2.0. So after I got my Square Wire, I actually found my old Tapers. The hinges swing loosely and they've got a scratch or two, but they're still excellent sunglasses, so now I have a couple of pairs. Hard to tell them apart at a glance, and they both feel great on my big face.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to this old thread. If anyone reads, kudos to you for being around. :)

Latest Posts

Back