1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TB9788

TB9788 Oakley Beginner

Not sure if this is in the correct section, but here goes:

I've noticed a few people mentioning they ask military and government buddies to purchase items for them from the Standard Issue site. I'm curious if anyone has access to a friends account and uses it to purchase items without bothering them every time they want to order; or if that is a) way too unethical or b) something Oakley would come after you (or your buddy) for?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Yeti

Yeti Frostmonkey Staff Member Premium Member

I believe you'd run the risk of losing access to it.

3. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Buying for someone not eligible is against their policy. But we crave our Oakleys and things find their way into our hands.

What's bad is when you see a new item hit the USSI website and there are examples on eBay shortly after for twice the price or more.

4. TB9788

TB9788 Oakley Beginner

Yep, seen quite a bit of SI stuff while browsing ebay. Friend of mine offered to buy a few things I've been wanting, just wasn't sure if you could get away with paying and shipping to a different address than the registration one in order to save him the hassle every time something else catches my eye (which is rather often ha)

5. reggavegga

reggavegga Oakley Expert

A buddy of mine can do the S.I. website he got me some stuff . I gave him C.C number and it came to my house. He told me to do it that way.

6. Flakjacket

Flakjacket Oakley Beginner

I think that someone can order for someone else. One big no no is ordering things from SI and selling them for a profit. I don't think that ordering for a friend would be much of a big deal as long as they pay the price you got for them. I also think that its not to big of a deal unless your buying tons of product and selling it twice the price. So i wouldn't get a habit doing it but i think once or twice for a buddy would be ok. I would use your address though. Just my two cents.

7. subysti2007

subysti2007 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

i have an account. Just let me know what you want and i can get them for you if they are in stock

8. foleyness

foleyness Oakley Enthusiast

i really don't think oakley is too concerned with it as long as people aren't scalping. there are even some si pieces in one of my local vaults.

9. stn51

stn51 I NEED ANOTHER FUEL CELL!

i buy for my friends all of the time but as has been mentioned above you should not sell at a profit that is a different story
    but ordering for people is fine sometimes it is good trade fodder

10. eldiablojoe

eldiablojoe Oakley Beginner

I have a huge issue with this.

It is a question of personal integrity. Oakley GENEROUSLY CHOOSES to make their stuff available at USSI at a huge discount for qualifying personnel. They get paid little enough, and are appreciated little enough that this is a rare bright spot. I have a USSI account, but have never purchased anything through it. I also refuse to scalp. If I buy something at or from Oakley via USSI or some other discount to which I might have access, I don't mind selling it if it doesn't fit my needs or isn't working out for me (like my Fives I was selling a few months back - still for sale BTW), but I will only sell it for no more than what I paid for them.

Oakley is kind enough to offer USSI, and perhaps some other discounts, out of no requirement, or obligation whatsoever. Perhaps a P.R. benefit or a brand marketing benefit (getting the product in the hands of the people you want to have seen wearing them), but they do it largely as a gift in my opinion.

It is unethical to take advantage of this. I know some do so. I have seen some employees I know use their generous discount not just for themselves or a special friend or spouse, but actually taking orders from friends of friends and then buying the item at their discount and selling it for an inflated but still less than retail price.

These kinds of shenanigans are what get these perks shut down for everyone. We screw ourselves by being greedy. If my discount ends because some other jacka$$ is using his for profit, I have every right to be extremely pissed at that jacka$$. In fact, I wish that guy more than bad karma.

I'm disappointed when I hear about others using their advantage for profit. This site used to be full of people with integrity, but I fear that as the membership numbers grow, more and more people who are in it for themselves are joining also. I hope I'm wrong and that is not the case.

Jason M Hensley and Ryan_C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.