• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Star Imprint On Frame - Question

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
I recently purchased a pair of Matte Grey Frogs.

These are the 4 legged ones that come with Violet Iridium lenses and an extra set of purple legs.

When I was cleaning them I noticed a star imprinted on the inside, right lens section of the frame (check out the photo below.)

I looked through all my other frogs (especially my other 4 legged Turquoise ones) and none of them have this.

I'm sure these are authentic.

Anyone else have a pair with a star imprint?

Anyone happen to know what this indicates?

I'm thinking maybe a sample pair? Just a guess ...

dscn0079m.jpg

I've never owned a pair of Matte Grey. I have the Matte Denim and Van Ness four legges and neither has the star. I had the Turquouise four legged and that never had a star either.

I've seen the star on some pairs, mostly polished frame pairs. There was a thread from last year that listed what frames did and didn't have the star. I don't recall ever seeing the star on a matte frame before.

Thank you both for chiming in ...

So I guess the star imprint is just something random and doesn't really mean anything ...

:sad:

Some people said the star was/is used to help identify the genuine from fakes, but whether that is true or not I don't know. It is not uniformly on all pairs, I think Oakley have stopped doing it now, and the forgers started putting stars on the fake pairs as well anyway once they cottoned on to it. It was all in that thread I mentioned but I can't find it at the moment.

My own pair of Matte Grey/Purple - Violet 03-220....no star. I do not think the pair in the picture would be a sample pair due to it having a star. Some Frogskins had stars, which began quite late in the 3rd gen output, and my 'educated' guess is the first pair with it was the Purple Clear Fade - Violet 24-224. The question that arises from this thread is...are there any releases that have some with, and some without the star? I do have quite a number of issues with stars since the 24-224 release, but who knows the FACTS behind it, there is likely to be a reason, but whatever that is, the star is sooo awesome an addition to the character of this model, it blew me away when I first saw it.

Back