• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Star Wars Discussion

I actually just started reading the first book in the Star Wars Aftermath trilogy that goes between Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens. it's the first Star Wars expanded universe book i have read since i read like 50 of them back in high school about 15 years ago.

the blue (adult novels (not that kind of adult novel, get your minds out of the gutter. lol.)) and purple (collections of short stories) books on this timeline are the good ones. I skip all that young adult crap and i haven't read any eBooks though.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_books

the best in my opinion are
- The Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn
- The Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J Anderson
- The X-Wing/Rogue Squadron series
- The Corrilian trilogy

Last edited:
You know, with an exception or two I've never really followed "expanded universe" books from TV / movie franchises. Though not out of disdain; I'm sure they're engaging and enjoyable.

But I did read that they are not using storylines from the Star Wars "expanded universe" in this new trilogy. In fact, Lucas is on record saying that Disney eventually threw out rough story treatments for the third trilogy, which he wrote before he decided not to make a third trilogy. So, we're in uncharted waters...

You know, with an exception or two I've never really followed "expanded universe" books from TV / movie franchises. Though not out of disdain; I'm sure they're engaging and enjoyable.

But I did read that they are not using storylines from the Star Wars "expanded universe" in this new trilogy. In fact, Lucas is on record saying that Disney eventually threw out rough story treatments for the third trilogy, which he wrote before he decided not to make a third trilogy. So, we're in uncharted waters...

correct. which is good and bad. everything Lucas has touched since the original trilogy of Star Wars, the original trilogy of Indiana Jones, and American Graffiti has been crap. so i am glad they didn't use his stuff and i have faith Disney can put some better talent together to write something better than the prequels. (even the digital touch ups he did to the original Star Wars trilogy sucked and angered fans). the bad is the fact that the expanded universe books actually have amazing story lines and are unanimously loved by most Star Wars fans.

i am also wondering what they are doing for story line with the spin off movie Star Wars - Rogue One. that is supposed to center on the stealing of the death star plans leading up to A New Hope. if you ever played Star Wars video games (the expanded universe stories work together between comics, books, and video games) the orignal Star Wars - Dark Forces video game (the series changed names into the Jedi Knight video game series after Dark Forces II) centered on you being a mercenary named Kyle Katarn. you steal the death star plans in like the first level of the game. haha. i hope they at least name a character in that move Kyle Katarn.

Interesting - I wonder if it came from the studio as a "supercut" or if somebody just took the official trailer and spliced in extra scenes from the earlier teasers?
Science Vs. Cinema co-creator James Darling has mashed together the ultimate SUPERCUT for Star Wars: THE FORCE AWAKENS using all 3 trailers and the Comic-Con BTS reel.

Science Vs. Cinema: Exploring the science in movies -- a new show from Andy Howell and James Darling.

He's just a dude!! Not a Disney Dude.

Here is some more info posted in Yahoo News.

People may still be losing their minds over the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer that aired Monday, but one YouTube user has just created one of the best supercuts around.

James Darling, co-creator of Science vs Cinema on YouTube, used footage from all three trailers and previously shown Comic-Con footage to produce a terrific supercut trailer.

Darling's fan-made video offers a different perspective on the story fans have been teased with in past trailers while still maintaining a cohesive narrative. If anything, it actually adds depth to what we've seen without ruining any of the official plot development.

Most of the time, the transitions from one trailer to the next are pretty seamless, but there are a few jumps that do stick out. Still, considering the small amount of material he had to work with, it's pretty impressive.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in theaters across the country on Dec. 18.

(even the digital touch ups he did to the original Star Wars trilogy sucked and angered fans).

Yeah, the blu-rays I have of the movies are post-touch up, and though I don't really mind the improved SFX for the space stuff, other things are quite annoying, such as the added conversation with CGI-Jabba in ANH, the shots of celebrations across the galaxy at the end of ROTJ, and the replacement of force-Anakin with Hayden also at the end of ROTJ. Not to mention the whole "who shot first / Greedo" thing...

But they do still contain a couple of my favorite WTF / lols...

Such as in ANH, when they're in the Death Star and R2 and 3PO are in that control room when the stormtroopers break in, one of them bonks his helmet on the top of the door entering the room, almost gets knocked down...

And at the end of ROTJ, when Lando and Chewy are about to head out in the Millennium Falcon to look for Han, Lando is wearing Han's clothes... WTF?!?!?

lando.jpg

Okay, The Kid is officially Star Wars obsessed...

Every night, they're the only stories she wants me to tell. They're the only movies she wants to watch. She woke me yesterday morning, told me she dreamed about Star Wars the night before. I asked her which part; she said, "the second and third movies. It took all night..."

We were at "gramma's" for dinner last night, she had taken some fresh blueberries and frozen them as a nice frozen treat (why not just buy frozen blueberries IDK) and The Kid was eating them, nearly finishing them off. "Gramma" tells her, "you eat all of those and I'll get some more and freeze them."

The Kid blurts out, "in carbonite???"

:lol:

Every night, they're the only stories she wants me to tell. They're the only movies she wants to watch. She woke me yesterday morning, told me she dreamed about Star Wars the night before. I asked her which part; she said, "the second and third movies. It took all night..."

We were at "gramma's" for dinner last night, she had taken some fresh blueberries and frozen them as a nice frozen treat (why not just buy frozen blueberries IDK) and The Kid was eating them, nearly finishing them off. "Gramma" tells her, "you eat all of those and I'll get some more and freeze them."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heck you did a better job than what Disney can do to on getting new younger fans into the saga!!

Great job, Walt would be proud of you.

Now go out and buy all the Star Wars toys at the Disney store!!

Back