• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Still deals to be had...

mjt42

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
UK
Good deals are getting fewer and fewer between but they do crop up occasionally....

d29926f774a3509bc63b5127d22fbbb0.jpg

These were on Gumtree last Saturday.
I missed out on these but maybe someone else on here got lucky...?

Good deals are getting fewer and fewer between but they do crop up occasionally....

d29926f774a3509bc63b5127d22fbbb0.jpg

These were on Gumtree last Saturday.
I missed out on these but maybe someone else on here got lucky...?
Great deal. Hopefully someone here got it who is not a scalper. ;)

Great deal. Hopefully someone here got it who is not a scalper. ;)

That exchange rate translates to roughly $63 USD. If a person bought it for $63 USD and then sold it on here for $300 (just an example), would that be considered scalping? Technically (assuming it's in very good condition), $300 is still below FMV.

I get the strict definition of scalping (making an exorbitant profit), but I personally don't consider it scalping if it is sold for FMV or even below it, regardless of the cost basis of the seller. Just my thoughts on it.

That exchange rate translates to roughly $63 USD. If a person bought it for $63 USD and then sold it on here for $300 (just an example), would that be considered scalping? Technically (assuming it's in very good condition), $300 is still below FMV.

I get the strict definition of scalping (making an exorbitant profit), but I personally don't consider it scalping if it is sold for FMV or even below it, regardless of the cost basis of the seller. Just my thoughts on it.
Doesn't matter to me as I won't be the one buying it.

It's just if someone gets it at that price hopefully they appreciate it. If they bought it strictly with the mindset of turning around and flipping it right away to make that kind of profit on it is where I think that is kind of messed up considering.

But to each his own. Right?

Doesn't matter to me as I won't be the one buying it.

It's just if someone gets it at that price hopefully they appreciate it. If they bought it strictly with the mindset of turning around and flipping it right away to make that kind of profit on it is where I think that is kind of messed up considering.

But to each his own. Right?

I agree with everything you stated. But I think you also touched on a fine line here. Whenever I buy anything (BNIB or not), I look to buy bargains. What I mean by that, is if I can't at the very least turn it around and sell it in the future (if I decided to) for my original cost, then I won't buy it.

To take it a bit further, if I find something at an absolute steal like the one in this thread, I'll keep it and wear it primarily. But down the line, if I want to sell it for whatever reason, I'm not going to sell it for $63 (or whatever steal price I got it for originally). I'm going to sell it for the FMV or perhaps a tad below it because I can afford to and still make a profit.

Would it be too presumptuous to think everyone on here operate in the same mindset?

I agree with everything you stated. But I think you also touched on a fine line here. Whenever I buy anything (BNIB or not), I look to buy bargains. What I mean by that, is if I can't at the very least turn it around and sell it in the future (if I decided to) for my original cost, then I won't buy it.

To take it a bit further, if I find something at an absolute steal like the one in this thread, I'll keep it and wear it primarily. But down the line, if I want to sell it for whatever reason, I'm not going to sell it for $63 (or whatever steal price I got it for originally). I'm going to sell it for the FMV or perhaps a tad below it because I can afford to and still make a profit.

Would it be too presumptuous to think everyone on here operate in the same mindset?
I think you are right in the sense of "down the line". But buying it today and then selling it tomorrow is where I feel it's messed up.

You wanna buy it today for $63 and keep it. That's cool. Wear it. Cool. Sell it in the future. Cool.

I know lots of guys who find great deals and they keep them cause the deal was so good.

I buy my stuff with no intention of selling it at all. So I have items where I know they aren't in high demand. Do I care? Not really. Then there's stuff I have people would kill for. I think that is pretty cool though. ;)

I think you are right in the sense of "down the line". But buying it today and then selling it tomorrow is where I feel it's messed up.

You wanna buy it today for $63 and keep it. That's cool. Wear it. Cool. Sell it in the future. Cool.

I know lots of guys who find great deals and they keep them cause the deal was so good.

I buy my stuff with no intention of selling it at all. So I have items where I know they aren't in high demand. Do I care? Not really. Then there's stuff I have people would kill for. I think that is pretty cool though. ;)

Very good. Actually, there's an intangible value that I believe are attributed to bargains. Like the XX in this thread for $63, that is just a cool story and perhaps journey to obtain it. It has more value in keeping than selling in my opinion.

Very good. Actually, there's an intangible value that I believe are attributed to bargains. Like the XX in this thread for $63, that is just a cool story and perhaps journey to obtain it. It has more value in keeping than selling in my opinion.
I agree. One of those cool items with hopefully a good story behind it.

Latest Posts

Back