• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Straight jacket flames project

350nick

Oakley Expert
These arrived today. A bit of an eBay bargain. I knew they were a bit beaten up but the frames are good so I plan to restore them.

I have never seen lenses lose the iridium coating like this before. They aren't scratched though! The rubber was a bit split at the ends so I sliced a little bit off to neaten them up until I track down replacement.

I've wanted some flame straight jackets for ages and this is my favourite colour. Would love to track down some original fire polarized lenses but normal fire might have to do.

I wasn't expecting the original box so that was a nice surprise!

E8C968BE-49DA-4DD4-B4BC-C3B16A57ED76_zps2dzkeau1.jpg

59178E46-2198-4F97-8BD1-62B0E1DC963E_zpsilqbruzc.jpg

B084C8F6-2D66-48EE-8AFB-8D0219B011D5_zpshym0wnwo.jpg

D395D269-ACC2-4E1B-9920-B68894319FF9_zpshfi1dure.jpg

B4C0D5B6-9B11-4012-9E03-AE272F96EF91_zpsstn58eka.jpg

An unusual failure, but if you're going to display rather than wear, why not stick with them? They kinda fit in with the flame theme like that!

I think getting the box was probably the best part of the deal. You should send these pics to the dr chop and see if he can clean these up. As for lenses I agree that getting new lenses cut by @xmetalmaniac would be your best option. He does incredible work!

Cool that you got the box with them. Worst case cut some customs.

Yeah box was a nice surprise. Seller has also said he couldn't find micro bag but will keep looking and send it if he finds it. I doubt it will happen but would be another nice addition.

An unusual failure, but if you're going to display rather than wear, why not stick with them? They kinda fit in with the flame theme like that!

I know what you mean, the edges of what is left of the iridium sort of look a bit like flames.

I plan to wear them probably but as they aren't scratched they might be ok to wear. Part of me would still like them original/as close to perfect as possible. I'm in no hurry though.

I would love to be able to buy some polarized fire and get them custom cut whilst retaining the polarized etching. Is this possible? I would imagine it's unlikely due to differences in shape.

It looks like someone has been cleaning them with a t-shirt. The Iridium coating on the older pairs was very delicate and scratched very easily.

It looks like someone has been cleaning them with a t-shirt. The Iridium coating on the older pairs was very delicate and scratched very easily.

I think so, quite impressed that the lens itself isn't scratched. I've been wearing them today and they no longer look like fire lenses to look through. More like bronze. If I look to the edges I can see the greenish tint you get with fire. I never really realised how much difference the iridium coating made to the colour looking through the lens.

I've already asked this in the lens cutting thread but does anyone know if a jawbone lens is a suitable donor for these?

Back