• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Straight Jacket In Suede And Leather Frames

mtedenajimenez

Oakley Expert
Bay Area, CA
been a oakley fan since i was a teen (around 00 i bought my first oakley sunglasses). i've kind of just poked my head into the O stores every once in a while since then and bought sunglasses here and there. recently i've been looking into all the cool stuff Oakley made before i became a fan, and of course the straight jackets in suede (04-049) and leather (04-047) jumped out at me (i was a big XX fan when i first got into Oakley). i was trying to research them, but couldn't find too much on them and then i found this Oakley forum. i've slowly been transitioning more and more into this hobby and those are two pairs i'd definitely like to have someday. just wondering, what would each of those straight jackets go for if they were put up for sale today (assuming mint condition)? wondering if it's even worth it to keep an eye out for them. does anybody have production numbers on those?

or anybody remember the last time they saw either of them up for auction and what the price ended up at? just wondering if they're even in my price range, or if they are super ridiculously expensive like the Medusa goggles.

I wouldn't say they're ridiculously expensive, but the leather and suede tended to deteriorate from skin oils and sweat from being worn. If you are looking for an unmolested pair, that's going to be tough. Price can go up and down, but i don't think i'd pay more than $100-150 for those in good condition. I did come across the Leather pair last year. A guy was selling them for only $50, but i didn't buy them as straight jackets aren't my style and i bought a ton of other stuff from him already and ran out of cash.

I wouldn't say they're ridiculously expensive, but the leather and suede tended to deteriorate from skin oils and sweat from being worn. If you are looking for an unmolested pair, that's going to be tough. Price can go up and down, but i don't think i'd pay more than $100-150 for those in good condition. I did come across the Leather pair last year. A guy was selling them for only $50, but i didn't buy them as straight jackets aren't my style and i bought a ton of other stuff from him already and ran out of cash.

Waay off on that estimate, they are as MB stated about twice that much and in the $300+ range if in Mint or New condition...

Rare find as well in the pristine conditions, as Splice said they did not hold up well with use. But if you have them DAAAAAAMN they are some sweet looking shades....

leather002.jpg

leather003.jpg

leather005w.jpg

leather006.jpg

Sorry for the shaky pics, im in a hurry...

Last edited by a moderator:
good info everyone! FearGearGarage those look awesome! i want them! hahaha. Romeo Van Frogskinstein, good note about the boxes both having the leather pair as the picture, i never would have known that.

the good thing is that they definitely seem to be in my price range (at around 300+), the bad thing is like a couple people stated is that finding them in mint condition (which is what i want) is going to be tough. at least i have a better idea of the task at hand.

i got a small list (7 to be exact) of mint Oakley vintage sunglasses that i want to pick up (with boxes i hope), but every single one on the list is very difficult, haha. the journey is part of what makes it special i suppose! btw any collector reading this thinking about unloading some mint leather or suede straight jackets can give me a pm. ;)

Doesn't Chop have a pair of the orange leather Straight for sale? He did for a while, no idea if it was bought. The last post has them for sale still, but that was over 3 months ago

http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-s...fs-rare-leather-straight-jacket-one-kind.html

Yea this is what I was going to say $225 and noone has jumped yet I would have to agree with SpliceD on the priceing, I think they are a cool pair but really only a dispaly pair being leather, kinda like the Jordan Mars!!

thanks Rustpot! i'm going to definitely pm Dr.Chop to get further info about condition etc. although i really like the look of them with gold iridium lens that dark grey looks mighty fine too, hmm..

Latest Posts

Back