• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strange spider webbed cracks in lens coating?

This is bizzar, even if it wa stress cracks it should appear onnboth sides and cover 100% of the lense... I hope mine dont do that! Wih i could be more help!!
Not necessarily, the stress is not necessarily uniform. They do look a bit like the lens base and iridium coating have expanded and contracted at different rates. In the one photo it follows the curve of the frame, maybe the frame was hot and some of the heat leached out into the lens. Peculiar effect however it happened.

If it is the coating
You can try to soak them in Alcohol for a little while remove the coating.
They will still be functional if it takes the coating off
I have heard of guys using rubbing Alcohol

its consistent around both sides, of both lens, and its all over the lenses, from edge to edge, not just a particular area. Its just in these pictures its only visible where the light is shining. It was really hard to catch on camera.

doesnt seem like the typical swirl marks from cleaning with a cloth either...its weird
Those are pressure cracks in the lense coating from popping the lense in or out improperly from the frame, bending the lense with too much force. I took my new glasses into a Pearle Vision where I purchased them, to have a simple repair done on one of the spring hinges. The employee who performed the repair told me they had to remove the lense on that one side, and later that evening (I wore an old pair throughout the day)when I put that pair of glasses on, I immediately noticed light refraction in that lense that at first appeared like a very light smudge. Cleaning the lense did nothing to remedy this, so upon much closer inspection moving the lense back and forth in front of a light, low and behold I could see these same cracks in the lense coating that you very well photographed on your glasses and posted here.

UPDATE : Turns out these cracks are in the actual lense and not in the coating. I just took my glasses to my local "eyeglass store" where I had my spring hinge repaired yesterday, and the technicians there were actually very honest and apologetic for cracking my lense, and are replacing both lenses in my new glasses! YAY!!!
Please keep in mind too, the technician agreed with me that many other "eyeglass stores" will use ignorance of what this truly is against the customer, and blame the customer for "leaving their glasses in the sun or in a very hot environment for an extended amount of time to cause this" SO NOT TRUE!! This ONLY happens from excessive and improper force applied to the lense when removing it from the frame!

I hope this information helps!!
Thank you to the administrator for welcoming me into this great forum!!

Screenshot_20210218-122614_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-121414_Gallery.jpg

20210218_092408.jpg

20210218_092321.jpg

Asking for friend. I tried searching, only came up with one other result really...where someone may have a similar case.
Anyways attached are some pics of a ruby iridium lens, both sides mind you, not just one side. Upon close inspection under direct light, can see spider-webbed cracks or lines all over the lens. Swirly/circular around the whole lens....it seems its on both sides (iridium side and anti-reflective coating of other side)?

When the glasses are worn, cant notice them distorting vision...

Was really hard to catch these on camera; more apparent where the light source reflects from.
And FYI this is the other thread I found that may be similar case...maybe due to heat left in car or someone sat on them hence stress cracks?
Spider-webbed +Red Iridium Lenses In Ti Whisker Frames | Oakley Forum

View attachment 139302

View attachment 139303

View attachment 139304

View attachment 139305

View attachment 139306
The cracks deep in the lense you can see very clearly here are around the area where the technician used their thumb to apply an improper and excessive amount of pressure to insert or remove the lense

Now i'm worried about my lenses that i forcibly installed on my juliets. Some needed more pushin to install 😩

Now i'm worried about my lenses that i forcibly installed on my juliets. Some needed more pushin to install 😩
Hi Mickey, if you haven't noticed any strange light refraction that appears to be a faint smudge on the lense while wearing them, you should be good to go. I discovered the fractures in my lense by chance, holding them up and moving them back and forth left to right of a light source, and then could very clearly see the damage I posted in my photos here.. I hope all is well my friend

Back