• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped paint on plastic frames! Super easy!

Ray Tuley Jr

Oakley Expert
Elizabeth, IN
I bought a pair of radars off of a buddy but they aren't ingreat condition wanting to mess around with a custom paint job and the paint was flaking pretty bad! Stripped them down removed icons and put in Tupperware container, used the old ladies fingernail polish remover and poured over them and let them soak 30 minutes took a stiff toothbrush and knock off the remaining paint and scrubbed down with dawn stripped 100% no damage to frame. in fact being they were molded in black they look like new! Just a tip I figured I would pass on!

Last edited:
20150222_223412.jpg
20150222_223417.jpg
20150222_223424.jpg

Stripped them down removed icons and put in Tupperware container, used the old ladies fingernail polish remover and poured over them and let them soak 30 minutes took a stiff toothbrush and knock off the remaining paint and scrubbed down with dawn stripped 100% no damage to frame. in fact being they were molded in black they look like new! Just a tip I figured I would pass on!
Hopefully the nail polish remover didn't have acetone. That stuff can eat plastic, including o-matter, like nothing. Even if it didn't do any immediate damage, any solvent based chem can cause the plastic to become brittle quicker than normal. I always recommend using SuperClean to strip frames. It takes longer, and you need to put in some work with a brush to remove the paint, but you know it won't have any adverse effects on the frame.

Back