• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped T6 Screw Head

Ok,here it is in a nutshell, use a .080" drill to drill out the head of the screw, but only go deep enough to where the head and stud meet. Using a pair of "side cutters" or "wire cutters" try to cut at the orbital gasket. The natural wedge geometry of the side cutters will expand the orbital and break off the remaining head of the drilled out screw. Once the head is off you can use the side cutters to grip the stud (without cutting it) and remove the stud.Ive done it many times already and never even once had a problem with this technique. However.....if you drill or cut off the remaining stud you are screwed.....remember .........drill shallow, cut gently.

Ah finally! OPERATION SUCCESS!!

Alright, so yesterday I went out looking for an extractor bit as I was scared my previous drilling method might cause huge issues. After I picked the tool up and tried it, it did not work. The crater I created with the drilling made the circumference too large because I used a 3/32" bit. Even though I also followed the instructions of the extractor bit to use a 5/64" bit as prep for the extractor, it was not possible for me to drill a hole deep enough to where the extractor could grip on with its sides as it is meant to be done with the hole where the driver is supposed to go.

I also tried the prying method, and from my understanding of the concept, I am supposed to insert the flat-head on the side of the screw to pry it out slowly by stripping the screw. Since this was the screw on the orbital that lets me change the lenses of the Juliets, there did not seem to be any space for any movement as the screw is recessed into the frame. Also, since I already tried drilling out the screw, the soft material of the screw seemed to flatten and spread to the sides, leaving no space for anything to fit between the screw and the frame so I had to abandon that technique.

I then decided that since nothing else worked, the only thing left for me to do was to continue on with my original plan, trying to drill out the head of the screw and hope for the best that there would be enough of the screw, and for it to be strong enough for me to grab it with pliers and back it out.

After a ridiculous amount of patience and my arms about to fall off by trying to go super safe by drilling through with my bare hands, I decided to use a power drill on the lowest setting thinking it was safe as the crater looked solid enough for the drill bit to sit properly, going very slow and checking the progress after a few seconds. Eventually, I felt that satisfying pop of the frame springing apart, showing ample amount of the screw remaining that I can grip onto with pliers.

Still being very cautious as I did not want the same thing happening as the guy in the other thread who also broke this part of the screw trying to use pliers, I popped out the lens and got to work. Honestly, it was extremely nerve wracking while stretching the orbital apart to fit the pliers, knowing the screw is extremely fragile, and the crunching sound created by the pliers scraping against the frame. Luckily the frame is extremely strong and not even a single scratch appeared!

As I gripped on and turned, I could feel the pliers slipping, and stripping the screw further. Super scary! Then, my next turn I went super slow and felt the screw starting to turn. Haha, I thought I fully destroyed the screw until I examined it and noticed that it had actually loosened and was slowly backing out! The joy of removing that final part was real!

Now, what would be the best place to get a replacement screw? I heard Linegear produces a much higher quality screw and Revant also carries replacements. Which ones are the best? Would a regular hardware store possibly carry the same exact screw?

Haha, sorry for writing up a novel here! I just wanted to document my entire journey of what worked for me in detail so it might possibly help someone else with the same issue. Thank you all so much for all your help! I could not have done this without your suggestions and my beloved Juliets are back in perfect working order!

I can say this method does indeed work. I had the same exact problem with a third generation Juliet frame. I had already ordered everything from Linegear to replace the parts except the screws, honestly did not realize they were stripped. So the parts come in, I started tearing the frames down so I could give each part a good alcohol bath. Then I got to the last screw holding the left lens, to my surprise, it would not turn. I was using a Kobalt driver from Lowes, it may have assisted in further stripping the head. I felt that sick feeling knowing that I had no idea what to do. I tried the rubberband trick, no success. I have the standard grabit bits but the shaft was too large to remotely get to the screw opening. I started to use the super glue trick, but found out my son had used all of the tubes for his projects. Then I looked to the forums and came across this. Never would have thought to drill it out, let alone, have enough confidence to do so. I used the smallest bit in my set and went to town with an electric drill. I know I went too fast because the frames heated up quickly. I allowed it to cool off then patiently approached it until the head disappeared. I thought the hard part was over. I used a micro needle nose plier to attempt to turn the screw, it could not get enough bite. I ended up using needle nose channel locks to prevent slipping and successfully removed the screw. I ended using the screw out of my generation 1 Juliets as a replacement until Linegear comes back from their vacation so I can order replacements.

The best advice I can give, start off with quality tools, then if power tools are needed, take your time and have patience.

I can say this method does indeed work. [...] I ended using the screw out of my generation 1 Juliets as a replacement until Linegear comes back from their vacation so I can order replacements.
Juliet screws are also available from Forum member @jdd32
I've bought several sets of Juliet screws from him, in various colors, with excellent results.

I asked a watch repairman to get it out for me, he used some wd40 but the groove got really bad, so i had to find an optical to fix it which is the hard part since no one has the confidence to touch them but I did find 1.

Back