• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stupid peoples valuations...

Sappy

Oakley Expert
Denver, CO
Hello everyone, I was searching through my local Craigs listings today and I came across a couple of doozies...

One listing was for a 1st gen X Metal Juliet with the box of a 24k XX without the coin. In his posting he says that he has seen glasses like these go for $2000 nowadays but he has them priced to sell at $750.

And another listing for what this guy called chrome Juliets. Clearly he meant polished, but my gripe is that he says "you better grab these up because you won't find another pair like this ever." This one was listed for $500 with no picture in the ad.

I'd like to get some opinions from everyone about why these jokers think they found the holy grail when these pairs simply seem generic and ordinary to me. It's not like they are Ichiro's or a copper Penny or anything remotely close to that. How can I break these guys hearts and tell them they would be lucky to get $200 per pair? Are people really so foolish to believe these guys claims? Does no one have any common sense anymore???

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
When it comes down to it, there are ALWAYS going.to be scalpers looking to make money whatever they sell. Poinit is, they can ask for the moon: it's whether there's anybody who will pay that matters!

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'm going to be listing some stuff on eBay in the near future at a couple hundred bucks over what it's "value" might be. Mainly because I have to pay ebay/paypal/shipping fees, and also to leave myself room to get low balled and still get decent money out of them. Not everyone has their head up their ass, some just want to get back their investment or get close to market value after fees.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'm going to be listing some stuff on eBay in the near future at a couple hundred bucks over what it's "value" might be. Mainly because I have to pay ebay/paypal/shipping fees, and also to leave myself room to get low balled and still get decent money out of them. Not everyone has their head up their ass, some just want to get back their investment or get close to market value after fees.
I understand the idea of getting the best bang for the investment side of things. Ebay sucks out 10% of the sale and then Paypal takes their cut, so sure, throw em on ebay. I get what you're saying but come on man, $750 for those? Really?!? You're cool with such inflated prices for a cash sale?

Wouldn't you rather put them on the exchange here and not have to deal with the bs that is ebay?

Well u are cheap if you aren't spending over $200. Offering $150 works if they don't know what they have. Offering me that I'll laugh at you and never open up a message from you again. I can sell O matter stuff for $150. Not everyone is educated with value of what they have let alone what it is. Not everyone is O educated. Also listing it at stupid prices doesn't work either. Same guy is wanting $750 for a beat up Romeo on my CL. I just let em be

I understand the idea of getting the best bang for the investment side of things. Ebay sucks out 10% of the sale and then Paypal takes their cut, so sure, throw em on ebay. I get what you're saying but come on man, $750 for those? Really?!? You're cool with such inflated prices for a cash sale?

Wouldn't you rather put them on the exchange here and not have to deal with the bs that is ebay?
I try to look at it from a realist point of view. There is BS wherever you go, this place is no exception. Sometimes (In my case) there are benefits to an eBay action vs selling on this forum.

For example- If you think eBay low ballers are bad, especially on something fairly rare, you ought to see some of the "offers" this place throws out some times. At least eBay lets you auto-reject the offers from people with an IQ below 55. The public forum format of this place is also less than ideal for sales sometimes. Good intentions or otherwise some people just can't resist posting in a sale thread even with no intention of buying. Another example would be someone who has no desire to constantly bump a post and instead posts a fixed price auction, set it and forget it (Ron Popeil). In that situation the people who find your auction are already primed to buy and are probably looking for your item.

Again, there are downsides to any form of selling. You've got guys charging $750 for glasses worth $200 on CL, on here, eBay, in optical shops, etc. If you want to face facts even Oakley is bending you over and going in dry selling plastic frames for hundreds of dollars with production costs well below that. In every case there will be those who are pissed off, those who don't care, and those who see it and move on without forming an opinion. That's just how stuff works.

Sorry if I have offended anyone here trying to make a buck, I get that we all want a return on any investment. And I'm not talking about anyone here, I just don't see them as rare as other people seem to. Any given day I can see 100+ pairs of Juliets on ebay that aren't moving because they are priced so high.

Again, very sorry if I have offended anyone, I must be getting cheap and cranky in my old age.

BTW, I've got a pair of super rare chrome Juliets for sale...

Sorry if I have offended anyone here trying to make a buck, I get that we all want a return on any investment. And I'm not talking about anyone here, I just don't see them as rare as other people seem to. Any given day I can see 100+ pairs of Juliets on ebay that aren't moving because they are priced so high.

Again, very sorry if I have offended anyone, I must be getting cheap and cranky in my old age.

BTW, I've got a pair of super rare chrome Juliets for sale...
I have no idea who that's directed at but I hope that isn't the message you got from my posts. All I was trying to get across is that in the collecting world (and that's what these glasses are to a lot of people) you are always going to have nut jobs who go sky high on price and nut jobs who think they should sell for below past retail values. The right answer can be either one of those and anywhere in between. About all you can do is buy pairs when they are in your price range and drink beer while you wait.

Back