• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stupid peoples valuations...

Hello everyone, I was searching through my local Craigs listings today and I came across a couple of doozies...

One listing was for a 1st gen X Metal Juliet with the box of a 24k XX without the coin. In his posting he says that he has seen glasses like these go for $2000 nowadays but he has them priced to sell at $750.

And another listing for what this guy called chrome Juliets. Clearly he meant polished, but my gripe is that he says "you better grab these up because you won't find another pair like this ever." This one was listed for $500 with no picture in the ad.

I'd like to get some opinions from everyone about why these jokers think they found the holy grail when these pairs simply seem generic and ordinary to me. It's not like they are Ichiro's or a copper Penny or anything remotely close to that. How can I break these guys hearts and tell them they would be lucky to get $200 per pair? Are people really so foolish to believe these guys claims? Does no one have any common sense anymore???

View attachment 162088

View attachment 162089
Thing is with X-Metals is they know there are collectors. If nobody collected them they would never ask those prices. If anyone is stupid enough to buy at the prices they ask then something called negative equity pops its ugly head up.

I try to look at it from a realist point of view. There is BS wherever you go, this place is no exception. Sometimes (In my case) there are benefits to an eBay action vs selling on this forum.

For example- If you think eBay low ballers are bad, especially on something fairly rare, you ought to see some of the "offers" this place throws out some times. At least eBay lets you auto-reject the offers from people with an IQ below 55. The public forum format of this place is also less than ideal for sales sometimes. Good intentions or otherwise some people just can't resist posting in a sale thread even with no intention of buying. Another example would be someone who has no desire to constantly bump a post and instead posts a fixed price auction, set it and forget it (Ron Popeil). In that situation the people who find your auction are already primed to buy and are probably looking for your item.

Again, there are downsides to any form of selling. You've got guys charging $750 for glasses worth $200 on CL, on here, eBay, in optical shops, etc. If you want to face facts even Oakley is bending you over and going in dry selling plastic frames for hundreds of dollars with production costs well below that. In every case there will be those who are pissed off, those who don't care, and those who see it and move on without forming an opinion. That's just how stuff works.

I'll agree with everything you said here. I'm going to go on record and add that outside of literally a handful (if even that) of posters here who truly "pass on" an X-metal piece at a "great price" for the greater good of the community, every other person (myself included) scalps on here. I have NEVER bought an x-metal set off of here. Everything that's ever passed through my hands and/or are currently in my permanent collection, has been obtained by my own "grunt work" outside of this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and open discussions amongst some good down to earth people that share a mutual interest in Oakleys (X-metals to be more specific :) ), but the forum in my opinion and experiences is just not a great place to buy.

Most of the time, no one wants to sell what you WTB. And people don't want to pay as much for what you WTS. And as far as TRADES go? lol...forget about it.

Everyone knows what this forum is about now.....the "rock bottom" price. At least that is the intent on the surface, but when everyone is a "shark" in the sea, there's no more "fish" to eat. If that sounds callous, I'm just calling it as it is as my personal opinion.

Whether an X-metal collection is an investment or simply for fun, I don't know of anyone who truly sell for what their out of pocket originally was. I openly include myself in this camp. People want to make a buck for whatever reason.

If a member here found a steal for $100 on CL. Would said member "pass it on" to another member here for the "greater good" for $100 + shipping? I doubt it. If we are all truly honest with ourselves here, no one would do that. Seems like the "fair" thing to do, but no one will do it.

David

If a member here found a steal for $100 on CL. Would said member "pass it on" to another member here for the "greater good" for $100 + shipping? I doubt it. If we are all truly honest with ourselves here, no one would do that. Seems like the "fair" thing to do, but no one will do it.

David
I was mostly with you until this. I believe in passing along/facilitating a local deal if I'm not going to grab it.

There's a mixed response to this in the Forums, but until money is exchanged and a product is in hand ... Dibs don't count.

Local classifieds deals are a literal free for all, and the almighty dollar will make and break all the rules at its leisure.

I've facilitated deals in the past and offered my exclusive available discounts. I'm doing it as we speak and I'm arranging to have em sent South.

I was mostly with you until this. I believe in passing along/facilitating a local deal if I'm not going to grab it.

There's a mixed response to this in the Forums, but until money is exchanged and a product is in hand ... Dibs don't count.

Local classifieds deals are a literal free for all, and the almighty dollar will make and break all the rules at its leisure.

I've facilitated deals in the past and offered my exclusive available discounts. I'm doing it as we speak and I'm arranging to have em sent South.

Ok I think you are misunderstanding my original post. I agree about dibs. Never had a problem with that.

I'm talking about an instance (as an example) if I bought a pair of x-metals for $100 locally, would I later (say 3 months later) sell it on the forum for $100 + shipping? I'm going to spare you and everyone here the suspense....NO I WILL NOT. I will sell it for the "FMV" at the time and profit whatever the delta is from my original out of pocket.

Why you ask? Outside of prerogative, I was the one to put in the time, effort etc to go obtain it. I will not pass that on for the steal that I got.

That said, I would not charge an exorbitant amount higher than the FMV "at the time" either.

David

Ok I think you are misunderstanding my original post. I agree about dibs. Never had a problem with that.

I'm talking about an instance (as an example) if I bought a pair of x-metals for $100 locally, would I later (say 3 months later) sell it on the forum for $100 + shipping? I'm going to spare you and everyone here the suspense....NO I WILL NOT. I will sell it for the "FMV" at the time and profit whatever the delta is from my original out of pocket.

Why you ask? Outside of prerogative, I was the one to put in the time, effort etc to go obtain it. I will not pass that on for the steal that I got.

That said, I would not charge an exorbitant amount higher than the FMV "at the time" either.

David
I'm pretty sure I understood you...

Here's an example on how I see the Forum should be:

There's a pair locally I can buy for 60$ and probably resell here tomorrow for 180$ ...

Will I?

Nope... Too Broke... I COULD shift a few things around and make it work but I won't. I'm passing it on to a member (when the deal works out) and he'll do whatever he wants with it.

As long as my money is refunded I'm cool... Sometimes members will throw in an extra 5-10$ to cover gas ... Fantastic! If they don't? No worries! I offered to do the favour ...so it's my prerogative I guess ...

The Forums SHOULD be a community of people who share a similar interest and are willing to help each other out...

Maybe I'm the only one doing this, maybe I'm crazy....I hope I'm not ...

There's more to life than making money off of other people's backs...

Do good things and good things may come back your way...

There's a pair locally I can buy for 60$ and probably resell here tomorrow for 180$ ...

Will I?

Nope... Too Broke... I COULD shift a few things around and make it work but I won't. I'm passing it on to a member (when the deal works out) and he'll do whatever he wants with it.

As long as my money is refunded I'm cool... Sometimes members will throw in an extra 5-10$ to cover gas ... Fantastic! If they don't? No worries! I offered to do the favour ...so it's my prerogative I guess ...

The Forums SHOULD be a community of people who share a similar interest and are willing to help each other out...

Yeah you did misunderstand me. I have and will continue to pass on good steals/deals to others IF I'm not going to buy it. I have plenty of references for that.

That is not what I'm talking about. If you bought that pair for $60 as you mentioned, and say you wanted to sell it a few months later. WOULD YOU SELL IT FOR $60 + shipping to a member here? Be honest here....

If your answer to my question is YES, good for you and that is your prerogative. You are DEFINITELY in the minority here and nothing wrong with that.

You mentioned "shifting things around" for the $60 you would need to buy it and then "flip" for $180 on the forum. The amount of trouble it is for a person to come up with the funds for a steal of a deal just depends on the person and circumstances.

If I didn't have the funds to buy the steal or if I just didn't want it, I would not buy it solely for the sake of flipping it for a buck...I would pass it to a friend and facilitate there if needed. However, if I bought it because I wanted to use it for a while, then you are absolutely right that I would "flip" that for the FMV at the time. If a fair price is still much higher than what you initially paid for it, then good for me (or whoever).

By the way, since X-metals are no longer being produced, it is a given that prices will be inflated from retail days. The next best thing to level the playing field for me personally is to flip. Find steals and buy if I want them and then flip towards a bigger better piece and so forth. That's how I keep my true out of pocket low and can eventually obtain the grail that I'm looking for without paying exorbitant prices for it.

David

Le

Will I?

Lexkempo, I salute you: with your integrity, the way it should be.

If I didn't have the funds to buy the steal or if I just didn't want it, I would not buy it solely for the sake of flipping it for a buck...I would pass it to a friend and facilitate there if needed.

this. done it several times. Pass the craigslist link to a few people and hope a friend gets it.

Interesting getting nuggets of info in the various threads of the forum.

Latest Posts

Back