• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions For 4.0?

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
So, its hard to believe but it was over a year ago that we switched to our current setup aka "Oakley Forum 3.0". Now maybe its because I spend way too much time on here, or I am just an antsy person, but I am always looking to improve the site. As I begin working on the 4th iteration of OF, I am looking for any feedback suggestions.

So far, I am looking for a sleeker design focused on content, but I plan on still keeping the current "skins" available for all members, so no design changes will be forced.

Here are some of the feature issues I'm looking to address in no particular order:
  • User Albums - I love seeing photos, love people uploading...absolutely hate the setup. To me it looks like 1999, and 50% of the time am expecting a glittery HTML banner to come floating across the screen. Update required.
  • Blogs? - Yeah we have those. Could use feedback on these. I enjoy writing the occasional guide/article, but they just aren't popular. I'm looking into a possibly "News/Blog" page with thread promotion. Meaning there will be original content such as articles, but also popular/interesting threads being highlighted for readers.
  • Mobile Uploads - This has really become more and more of an issue in the last 3 years, as everyone has a 30 megapixel camera in there pocket at all times. You take a great pic, you upload...and its upside down. I will address this.
  • Social Media Integration - You can like, tweet and share just about anything, but new members seem to love the ease of social media logins. Its definitely a hot topic, some people love it, others hate it. Either way, looking at adding other integration(optional of course).
  • Numerous other smaller features, which will be listed when this is actually released.

So now we're all ears. Any feedback, any ideas? Somethings are just not possible, some things take a while, some things just won't happen, but we want to hear any and all ideas.

The only thing I would look forward to is a mobile platform. If that not possible it won't kill me. ;)

Either way I say take your time with whatever improvements you make and as always you won't be able to please everyone but as long as everything works that is what counts.

I don't so the social media stuff so that never mattered to me but if it is integrated into the forum that would probably be cool anyway.

I always like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto but again I understand the need for tweaking or improving. :)

Good luck as I know it's not a small job.

The only thing I would look forward to is a mobile platform. If that not possible it won't kill me. ;)

Either way I say take your time with whatever improvements you make and as always you won't be able to please everyone but as long as everything works that is what counts.

I don't so the social media stuff so that never mattered to me but if it is integrated into the forum that would probably be cool anyway.

I always like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto but again I understand the need for tweaking or improving. :)

Good luck as I know it's not a small job.

Yeah hoping to just make some things work better. Right now App wise, I am pretty happy with tapatalk, and it seems a lot of people are. But truthfully I never used it that much. I prefer navigating to the site. Something I want to work on is a "mobile-friendly" layout, for easier use on your phone, with the ability to opt for the full site.

The only thing I can say at the moment is dont do anything to drastic all at once. Little changes here and there to give us old folks time to adjust! Love what you do for us Boss!

I'm pretty happy with layout and browsing ability. Search is what kills me. Would like to see a wtb wts as a prefix on exchange posts as I scroll timeline. Also think before noobs can post them must check they know what a search function is lmao @i am rich

I'm pretty happy with layout and browsing ability. Search is what kills me. Would like to see a wtb wts as a prefix on exchange posts as I scroll timeline. Also think before noobs can post them must check they know what a search function is lmao @i am rich

Not sure what exactly your looking for, but you can currently search for exchange posts based on the prefix, and they should show up in all types of searches. Here is how:
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 1.15.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 1.15.15 AM.png

Regarding the uploading of pictures. If you could allow for the posting of pictures from a user album in our user profile it would make things easier for a lot of the members. They could upload to their profile. Have an option in my albums to edit / rotate pics. Then they could attach to posts like "what Oakley's are you wearing today?" directly from their profile page. This would also allow users to upload pics from their pc's to their profile and attach them to these posts without having to go through a photo sharing site or with a url. Just a suggestion.

Back