• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions For New Design - Oakley Forum 4.0?

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
The internet is a constantly changing place, and we always believe in giving this site the latest and greatest. In the last 1-2 years there have been huge changes in web design, usually sparked by the biggest players (Apple, Google, Facebook etc.).

If you can believe it, we moved to "Oakley Forum 3.0" over 1.5 years ago! Work has already begun on the next iteration of this site design, and I want to hear what you guys want.

Here are some changes I am planning/considering in the new design:
  • Fixed header bar that follows you as you scroll - always able to access alerts/inbox/account without having to scroll to the top
  • Overall more modern, sleeker design, less "textures", more "flat" design - think new iOS 6 vs iOS 8
Some Considerations:
  • SideBar on all pages including threads - displaying recent threads, posts, and other relevant information. When I look at most threads, forum, I feel so much space is wasted on blank space because its so wide. Instead a sidebar would be able to bring relevant information in lieu of "whitespace"
  • Replacing "Blogs" with a "News" tab that features articles, featured/popular threads etc.- Blogs isn't exactly popular (I can admit it), but I do believe some form of time relevant information can be useful. This is big undertaking, but
Would love to hear opinions on any of this stuff, and/or any additional suggestions, feedback etc.

what about being able to set up what areas you want to see posts from. ie i dont really care about the ebay auctions and it would be great if i could click a box to not see that area

More than 10 posts per page.

Unfortunately this is nearly impossible to do with the way the URL's are formed, and direct to the database. Every once in a while, I still look for solutions to this! Trust me, you are not alone!

what about being able to set up what areas you want to see posts from. ie i dont really care about the ebay auctions and it would be great if i could click a box to not see that area

This is an interesting idea, i.e collapsible sidebar widgets. I like it.

Okay, after thinking about it for a minute, I don't think I can contribute any specific "look and feel" suggestions.

But what I can suggest is a strategy - whatever new bells and whistles get put on, make them configurable. As in somebody can go into their profile config and turn them on and off. For example, I think the fixed header bar is a good idea, but somebody else may find it annoying for whatever reason.

I know that's not always practical with some features but it's something I always push SAs and devs to do during the design phase of projects - don't hard code it, make it a config parameter. More flexibility is always a good thing.

I would like to see some more flexibility to search parameters but I don't know if that qualifies as "design"...

Anything specific you are looking for?

Definitely like the idea of making it configurable for features. I will explore this further. And I will work on the cursor :)

Any way to ignore a topic? Hate when a bs thread stays at the top of my feed...

Back