1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. jfiori

jfiori Oakley Beginner

I'm new to this forum but I do have a fair collection. Nothing rare or but it's getting close to 20 pairs, I do have a 6' aluminium Oakley display case as well as an Oakley watch case and am working on getting another black double case. My fav is Oakley Jawbones, I have 4 pair in my possession right now and am waiting on a pair of chrome BMX editions to arrive, a custom pair that I will swap arms with another friend of mine to make each of ours green,white, and red like the Italian flag and a pair of echelons.

My question is how can I remove the icons from the frames without damaging anything and putting a different colour icons in? It's not something I want to be able to change like the lenses I just want something a little more different.

Thanks

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Batwolf

Batwolf Double Team Premium Member

If it's anything like the other frame styles, you can take a very fine tip flat head and pry it off. It's glued in.

I myself might take mine off and paint them black but I'd like to get confirmation from some other people before I try.

3. jfiori

jfiori Oakley Beginner

I've got a pair of jawbones that I'm gonna use for parts basically. So I'll try getting them out and letting you know how it goes. What kind of glue is recommended? I've heard crazy glue will make the frames weak due to the chemicals and the way it reacts to the O-matter

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The Crawling Chaos Premium Member

Like batwolf said all you need is a tiny fine tip flathead screwdriver. Carefully pry the icon up, I've done this a lot of times. The icons have a glue/tape on the back and they stick back on. I haven't had any fail yet.

5. Oakleynerd

Oakleynerd Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i use normally my fingernails... it works pretty well and you canĀ“t damage the icon!

6. Batwolf

I just painted mine today, they are the same as everything else.

Tip for re-application: use a hair dryer to heat up the icon after placing it back on. This will re-heat the adhesive on the back and allow it to stick better.

7. jfiori

jfiori Oakley Beginner

Does it work in reverse as well? Could I use the hair dryer to loosen the adhesive to help when I remove it? I took the icons off a pair that I was using for extra parts and slightly damaged the frame, I would love to remove them from a pair of echelon jawbones but not if I even risk damaging the frame.

Thanks

8. Batwolf

I would just recommend using your fingernail or a very fine flat head screwdriver to do it. I suppose heat could work too but the flat head is easier.

9. Mikkelf

Mikkelf Oakley Beginner

Does anybody know if icons from Radars are interchangeable with icons from Jawbones?

10. The Pit Boss!

The Pit Boss! Oakley Beginner

yep, they are the same icons