• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

TB1 Collectibility

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
So what do you think?
I think the TB1 watch - with the vault- is a good collector's piece (one that may not appreciate but won't depreciate either).
The vault is over-the-top so to speak, the watch is an automatic and the styling is unique.
I know it doesn't have a sapphire crystal like the TB2 but all in all I think it checks off a lot of the requirements for a collectable: distinctive packaging, design, function and attitude.

I was under the impression that the movement was a kinetic...not automatic. That's why I've never purchased one. I don't buy electric watches.

The mineral crystal isn't a deal breaker for me. When I refurb old watches I often use mineral crystal in the dressier ones that only get wrist time on very rare occasions.

Correct, it's Kinetic, which is Seiko's branding of what is more generically called automatic quartz movement. I think somebody speculated they use a modified Seiko 5M42 movement.

So basically it's quartz movement only instead of being powered by disposable batteries, it's powered by a capacitor charged by a spinning offset weight that appears similar to automatic mechanical.

Correct, it's Kinetic, which is Seiko's branding of what is more generically called automatic quartz movement. I think somebody speculated they use a modified Seiko 5M42 movement.

So basically it's quartz movement only instead of being powered by disposable batteries, it's powered by a capacitor charged by a spinning offset weight that appears similar to automatic mechanical.
Exactly what I thought. And why I think they will depreciate. The capacitors will wear out, making them useless unless seiko makes a movement or capacitor to fit indefinitely. If I had a broken one, I'd see if I could find an automatic movement to fit the case.

Exactly what I thought. And why I think they will depreciate. The capacitors will wear out, making them useless unless seiko makes a movement or capacitor to fit indefinitely. If I had a broken one, I'd see if I could find an automatic movement to fit the case.

There are replacement capacitors available and they can and have been replaced; it just takes a little more than a novice hand to do it.

If they have been done and are readily available then they're a nice piece to have. I certainly like the look of the case and bracelet. But again. The advantage of the tb2 is that it'll never need a capacitor...just the occasional service.

Here's a o-review how-to writeup on replacing the capacitor:
http://o-review.com/forum_detail.php?ID=10694&p=last

Back to the OP, I do believe the TB2 is superior in almost every way to the TB1 (the exception being having to cut the unobtainium to resize the bracelet). Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement (I have the same movement in a non-Oakley watch and it's great), sapphire crystal, and just a slightly nicer look.

But the TB1 still has a decent movement and an original look so I agree one kept LN w/B shouldn't depreciate.