• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

That EBay Postage Rip-off Just Happened To Me

-Seller has 99.6% feedback
-Seller has sold 1689 items to date
-I contacted seller prior to the sale asking for the price of "combined express shipping"
still quoted the $34 USD price.
-Once purchased the item seller said "will ship express post first thing the next day"
-Keep in mind, these items have no oakley box so even less bulk than usual
-Items were sent priority international, not the stated express, I WOULD NOT MIND PAYING EXTRA FOR GENUINE EXPRESS because I am leaving for university next week
-The thing that really bothers me is that the service was a blatant lie, it's the principle, so people please stop trying to protect the seller, they should know better...it is their SOLE responsibility
-The item was on my watch list for a week and a half so it wasn't bought in haste, much communication between me and the seller took place
-If this was a domestic issue it wouldn't bother me so much but I am sick of dealing with cowboy eBay sellers, and If I don't make a stand and you guys keep insinuating that people like me are whiney little bitches then who will take a stand and protect the consumer?

no, he can't. sellers are screwed on ebay. no recourse what so ever! he can't leave anything but neutral or positive I believe. Even if you lie cheat and steal. That's why I closed up shop on ebay. Tired of absolute douchebags (and one is a member here and on the other forum) being able to leverage feedback in a bullshit manner and sellers can't do ****....that's what you get for paying upwards of 25% fees to the bastards!

To be fair though, you did start this thread openly asking for our opinions - which is exactly what you got in return. I'm not sure you can subsequently complain about that.

also, was the purchase and emails prior to January 22, 2012? If so, that is the day the rates changed and blindsided everyone over here, so you can't really fault him. It was pretty bad when we all saw the hikes in rates. Priority basically costs what express used to and they are only about $5-$8 difference now where it was like 40%

-The thing that really bothers me is that the service was a blatant lie, it's the principle, so people please stop trying to protect the seller, they should know better...it is their SOLE responsibility
-The item was on my watch list for a week and a half so it wasn't bought in haste, much communication between me and the seller took place
-If this was a domestic issue it wouldn't bother me so much but I am sick of dealing with cowboy eBay sellers, and If I don't make a stand and you guys keep insinuating that people like me are whiney little bitches then who will take a stand and protect the consumer?

Actually, it's cowboy buyers who look to leverage feedback that has totally ****ed ebay up (excuse me for that), so rant on. If it was because of the rate hikes, it is genuinely not his fault, however, he could have handled it differently....Just as you can. Trust me, it's a protected place for buyers in ebay. You (not meaning you as a person, but any buyer) can certainly lie and say you had a bad experience, ding stars which hurt sellers discounts even if they delivered. I had less than 5.0 on stars and shipped same day even on weekends with immediate tracking provided and I only charged actual DISCOUNTED shipping rates not full retail, didn't charge for packaging which added about $.50 cents to $2.00 or more depending on the item and what was used to package it, and no fees for gas to hand deliver to the post office, and so on. So you see, it is a buyer's market and just like me, if you don't like it, leave it....My .02 cents. People would leave less than 5 stars because you don't communicate. What the hell is that? You get emails out the rear for item won, seller has shipped, here's your tracking, blah blah blah...You have to literally kiss everyone's ass on ebay and it is BS to the max.

also, if you think it is unprotected, ask stephen BADPD about his recent hose job....Pretty shady place and he took a serious loss....

-Seller has 99.6% feedback
-Seller has sold 1689 items to date
-I contacted seller prior to the sale asking for the price of "combined express shipping"
still quoted the $34 USD price.
-Once purchased the item seller said "will ship express post first thing the next day"
-Keep in mind, these items have no oakley box so even less bulk than usual
-Items were sent priority international, not the stated express, I WOULD NOT MIND PAYING EXTRA FOR GENUINE EXPRESS because I am leaving for university next week

First off after reading the thread I dont believe anyone is saying you are whiney. You started the post with just a bit of info. Then you say that you if you leave him negative feedback can he do the same for you? This is not possible if you are familiar with Ebay and its system. Sure he can leave a positive mark with negative comments which if they violate Ebay TOS, can be removed by them under protest.

If you think he is being a seller with no etchics, leave him negative feedback. Its not unprofessional that he hasnt left you feedback because you paid quick. Some sellers have their system setup to automatically respond to feedback once you leave it. Its an option in their selling tools......

All of us post on here looking for support and answers. If you feel the seller did you wrong leave him negative. Make sure once the item arrives it meets your expectations FIRST, because if not then its a whole new ballgame......

Chop it sounds to me like you were fed up with the politics of ebay, correct? You knew what was going on and were a fair seller looking to be treated fairly, I'm assuming all Thedutchman wanted is what he agreed to pay for and was promised from them seller. The seller did not provide that and as such the buyer feels he should leave feedback accordingly. He's not lying about his experience, he's not dinging stars which will hurt the seller without cause either.

Chop you were one of the minority's on ebay, the good sellers, and they are dying out because of bad buyers and ebays rules. I'd say you and and JK-27 are very similar and I've read what's he's had to say as well and understand where good guys like you are coming from and it gets ruined by a douche.

This pic is inserted to hijack this thread and lighten everybody's mood a little. Sorry if you don't like it, but I couldn't find Daffy Duck tugging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For example, pair of o matter Oakleys, no box. Seller asks $8 to ship parcel post. Now I have messaged sellers several times and said they can place it in a padded envelope, and ship it first class for $1.80. And they can still make a little money, but my item wont take 10 days. This shows the seller I know what the charge is going to be, and I am just requesting a quicker ship. 99% say no problem.

Just from experience, putting something in a padded envelope instead of a box is a bad idea. It should only take getting burned with damaged merchandise once to realize its not worth the risk. You will also have no recourse as you asked him to ship it this way.

On another note I have to agree with the Dr. Ebay sucks now days but.... its partialy how I make a living so like a big boy, I deal with it.

Back