• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The death of a carbon blade

Sorry for your loss. That is the number one issue with that pair. From what I understand those are not screws, the only look like them, the really pins. Maybe you can confirm?

Definitely a screw, small sleeve is in the CF which receives the screw.

I feel your pain. I have a pair that look quite similar. Bit of a "redneck" fix, but I used a drop of superglue to mount the screw back into the lens. It worked!

It tore the screw sleeve right out of the CF, if it did hold it wouldn't hold for long.

So whats the cost to have them fixed? Something astromical by oakey?

Not fixable, they are a write off.

Looks like some medium CA with kicker, or better still some acrylic 2 part adhesive will hold the sleeve in if you bond it.

This happened to my Ferrari pair. Oakley sent me a brand new pair to replace them. Have you contacted Oakley's warranty department?

yea i would ask Oakley if they will cover it first, but two part epoxy will fix that for sure. it might even be stronger than it was before.

This happened to my Ferrari pair. Oakley sent me a brand new pair to replace them. Have you contacted Oakley's warranty department?

Dang man! I would try and return those. You would think with the carbon fiber they would hold up a lot better...
Carbon Blades are fragile, luckily Oakley doesn't give people a hard time about issues with them.

I love the style, but it is not tough by any means.

Dang man! I would try and return those. You would think with the carbon fiber they would hold up a lot better...

CF is weak against perpendicular stress and impact. Sorry to re-introduce my unpleasant view on the CB's, but they're really just a token item. Ray Ban had their own carbon pair, and there have been other brands playing with carbon on at least the stems (like Oakley's Jupiter). People are so drawn by just the material use, but not of the actual design. There is some sense to why the profiles are slim, but really just looks like Oakley did whatever could pass imo.

Still, I am sorry about OP's loss.