• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The fine line between inspiration & plagiarism

Ben G

Oakley Expert
Essex, UK
I love Frogskins as do many of you, something about the style & design just appeal to me, the effortless/ almost weightless wearability of them also helps (apart from the tinted view, you kinda forget they're on!).

Although I'm quite new to them as it were, my understanding of their design was Jim's inspiration from RayBan's, having already established his on unique design wanted something a bit more fashionable and less 'sporty', so created his unique spin on the look and birthed the Frogs, with the latter incarnations moving even further away, hinge design mainly... ignoring the existence of LX's, lol.

Inspiration is good, it breeds evolution of an already great concept.

But then I stumble across this company who clearly have flat-out copied the Frogskins..

Hawkers

And even though they only seem to have a 3/4 shot of the frames, blatantly every detail down to the hinges have been copied! I mean I've seen many copies of Wayfarers before (not just those £/$/€ knockoffs in petrol stations/ every souvenir shop abroad) like the 'STUN' brand, but not like these?

How can companies get away with this? Or have I totally missed the point, like they've bought old moulds from Oakley?

the Frogs will always be a Wayfarer Clone any way you look at it...

I think it's the only legitimate Oakley that I think is a bootleg of RayBan...

outside of the Frogs, all other Oakleys have a distinctive design that was created by a team full of intelligent and visionary inspired people...

in my eyes, the Frogs will always be a bootleg Rayban...sorry....

I appreciate Frogs are wayfarer clones, but at least they're distinctive, anyone could tell them aprt if side by side, but put a pair of these & Frogs with the logos sanded off and you'd struggle unless you're an okaley fan!

lol, I think I was wound up about something this morning & this discovery bugged me for some reason, maybe the O-bug has bitten me? :^D

Back