• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The GOLDjinx Project

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
Okay so the donor Hijinx have been ordered and should be with me by the weekend.
I figured that the way to go would be the white frame, as it's a blank canvas. Also the icons are the same colour, which means no mismatching once the spray-painting begins.

Managed to pick some up new for £49.
I've already got some white Hijinx of course, that I was tempted to use regardless, but I'll wait until the new ones turn up, as they will hopefully be pretty much untouched and therefore less skin oils etc to stop paint from adhering to the frame.

I picked up some gold Tamiya polycarbonate spray paint. I hope this works - as I picked the polycarb stuff for a bit of flexibility in the paint, otherwise it might crack as you are moving the frame or putting the lenses in.

I'm not going with a primer either, for the same reason, so I'll just use a couple of coats of paint.

I haven't bought any clear laquer yet, as again flexibility will be an issue so I'm looking for the right one.
Hope to get started on this at the weekend. I'll post up pics as I progress.

H.

I suspect you will need to key the glasses for the paint to adhere to. Try a light rub down on the frame with some 1200 wet & dry. I'd be very interested to see the results once its done. Please post the pic's.

i'll be waiting for the pics as well dude!

sidenote: i didn't do any wipedown before hand. maybe i should have. ha! ooo and i'm doing an O-Project this wkend as well. just waiting for some lenses to arrive.

how's the GoldHijinx coming along dude? =) my lenses just arrived today.

"SplatterBrook" Edition w/Chrome Iridium

p1020215bn.jpg

Good work on the splatters.

I did some practice spraying at the weekend to try and get the effect I was after, before starting the GOLDjinx job proper last night.

Then I promptly ran out of paint after about a minute.

Obviously practiced too much :rolleyes:

Will finish job later this week.

is it "gold fade"? with bronze lenses?
looks like a pretty clean job....

would you list every step?

oh ya
WOW nice work!!! RESPECT.

Back