• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

THE OFFICIAL "OAKLEY AT RED STUDIOS DAY" PIC THREAD

Wow maybe next year for me I hope
That's a long-shot. I think that Jim flushed out much of what he was looking for which was the purpose of the exercise.
However, if Jim enjoyed the event as much as he appeared to- spending time in a relaxed environment with some true believers (on his turf) - he might just do it again.
But I wouldn't take bets on it, sadly.
That does not mean that a similar event could not take place somewhere as a community effort. Meeting Jim and the Hans bonus were focal points to be sure but that did not take away from the enjoyment that many folks had in meeting real people just like themselves that had only existed as avatars previously.

That's a long-shot. I think that Jim flushed out much of what he was looking for which was the purpose of the exercise.
However, if Jim enjoyed the event as much as he appeared to- spending time in a relaxed environment with some true believers (on his turf) - he might just do it again.
That does not mean that a similar event could not take place somewhere as a community effort. Meeting Jim and the Hans bonus were focal points to be sure but that did not take away from the enjoyment that many folks had in meeting real people just like themselves that had only existed as avatars previously.
What a way with words

i agree with you, it had the feeling of being a once in a lifetime event. But the only one who has the power to pull the sheer amount of enthusiasm and talent as well as the venue was and is Jim himself. I hope Jim and his crew enjoyed it as much as we did. Jim himself was as down to earth and engaging as one could be having the resources and unbelievable vision he has. I mean just what an All American Success Story.......I'm very thankful he trusted us enough to give us a glimpse into the history and development of Oakley. I was particularly interested in the design process and their ability to produce the products that made Oakley stand alone. It seemed like a perfect storm and an era that Oakley will likely not return to. Too many constraints and budgetary concerns to bring the truly unique products to life that personified the "Mad Scientist" melding of art, science and design of the late 90's thru the 2000's. But Hans DID promise the successor the the X Metal line to be bitchen and worth waiting for.
I spent quite a while with Curt and had a great discussion about his killer Juliet rendering and seeing Jim very interested in it. I think the best time was meeting the people who are so committed to Oakley and their collections, Infinite Hero, Xmetalmaniac, Dyeraudio, GRF Motorsports were just a few of the folks i chatted with. I also dug that you guys were out exploring the Vaults and O Stores right in my stomping grounds, meeting up at HQ was fun too. I ended up riding my Harley 175 miles that day all over so cal! It was just an excellent day. Again, sorry for the long post but Thanks to Jim and his staff (turns out i knew Jim's driver Dudley from years of hanging around the Strange Engineering bus at NHRA events for the last 25 years lol) and the hospitality they presented us. From the Talks to the Tacos.....it was a stone groove my man....lol
Tim

You nailed it carguy and artsnnetters, what a great experience is was to meet and chat with everyone. By far the trading took a backseat to the conversations and friendships that were being built at the forefront. I had a blast with everyone and allthough i doubt it (as I agree it seemed like a once in a lifetime thing) I would love to see a meet up like this become an annual or semi annual thing.

Also thanks to Jim, your hospitailty was incredible thank you for opening up your shop to all of us and sharing with us. Everyone there was on pins and needles through every story. We were all hanging on your every word. Thanks again.

P.S. I'm kind of upset at how good the tacos were as I will never be able to find anything on that level all the way in Canada. Tacos like that just don't exist here.

Thank you Jim you are a true gentleman.
Shane

I spent quite a while with Curt and had a great discussion about his killer Juliet rendering and seeing Jim very interested in it.

I'm glad that you brought that up Tim, that's an aspect of the event that I wanted to share just to show what great guys Jim and Hans turned out to be.

I had brought a sketch that appeared to be an original Juliet design sketch. It is a nice piece, well-sketched and Jim was very interested in it. We were both unsure of its originality so we agreed to let Hans look at it when he arrived and have Hans pass judgment.

Hans stopped by and looked at it and said "You want to know if it's real?" I told him yes, that this seemed like the ideal opportunity to find that out and that's why I brought it. Hans said "Well I have some good news for you and some bad news. First the bad news: it's fake. I recognize the style and that looks like a sketch that Tommy did for the Irvine store. The good news is, I'll draw you an original."

What? I was blown away..........

Hans is a super cool guy and a Rock Star in our community as well as in his profession. To be that real, that down-to-earth and just offer out of the blue to sketch a work for a complete stranger -gratis- to me speaks volumes of what these guys are like as people. He told me to get an 11"x17" piece of sketch paper so he could do it and I told him that I probably wouldn't find one at Red Studios on a Saturday afternoon. I told Hans that I didn't want to monopolize his bandwidth at RED and I asked instead that he hang out and enjoy the event. I gave him my business card and asked him if he had a minute after RED and still wanted to make good on his promise that he could send it on at a later date when he had the time.

To me that's like whistling a Tom Petty tune in an elevator and have him in the back of the elevator say "You know I wrote that song for Lucinda Williams- let me write an original for you".

What did Jim get anyone know?

Hans stopped by and looked at it and said "You want to know if it's real?" I told him yes, that this seemed like the ideal opportunity to find that out and that's why I brought it. Hans said "Well I have some good news for you and some bad news. First the bad news: it's fake. I recognize the style and that looks like a sketch that Tommy did for the Irvine store. The good news is, I'll draw you an original."

What? I was blown away..........

Hans is a super cool guy and a Rock Star in our community as well as in his profession. To be that real, that down-to-earth and just offer out of the blue to sketch a work for a complete stranger -gratis- to me speaks volumes of what these guys are like as people. He told me to get an 11"x17" piece of sketch paper so he could do it.

That is AWESOME!!!!

Back